Ruger Precision

Gunslick

I apologize if this has already been posted or discussed but I am new here, thanks for having me. I just was looking at one of these in a magazine the other day then yesterday got to shoot one. It was amazing. Perfect bolt rifle in my opinion. For hunting, for 800+ yard shots. Is there any reason I should not get one? I am very interested in buying one.

I was considering the 6.5 c.m. but I like the 7.62x51 because it is much more common and cheaper to shoot. This rifle will be my hunting rifle but also would use it for 1000 yard matches. 308vs6.5c.m., what has hetter wounding ballistics, which is more accurate at distance? Not much of a bolt action shooter at all, I use the ar for everything from hunting to training and h/d. But it is time to get a bolt rifle and I really like the new ruger precision.

I'm a bench rest shooter 308 cal. The 6.5CM has less recoil, more accurate & hits like a 300 Win Mag at 600 yards. The 6.5 CM is becoming very popular in bench rest, hunting & long distance shooting. Case is similar to the 308 , barrel life is like the 308. Read up on the round before you pull the trigger. Either one is a good choice, you can't go wrong. Bolt guns are more accurate then AR's different animal . Zero at 200 yards you'll get 1/2" 5 shot groups. The rifle shoots better then us.

Last edited:
RPR weight

I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor and I love it. I weighed it with a full mag and Burris xtr scope (no bipod) at 14.4 pounds. Just a thought if you're thinking of toting it around hunting. My goes from the truck to the bench and back.

Well...I pulled the trigger on the 6.5..Might get one in .308 as well. Liquidated some assets to prepare for the upcoming election so I am not the guy with his you know what in his hand thinking to him self...man, wish I would have bought that, that, and that before it was all banned..Clinton's..sheesh..

Gunslick, I felt you were leaning towards the 308. I also like the 308 but once the 6.5 Creedmoor arrived, my next barrel change , my beloved 308 will turn into a 6.5 CM. Great round , RPR great rifle & you made a great choice with both. Let us know how you like it. Be Safe out there. Now we have to get you into reloading.

Shooting Deer at short ranges, lighter pie tin accuracy rifles. When your going long 800+ l would rather a heavy very accurate HB rifle getting 1/2" groups at 200 yards. That's what slings are for. That's just my preference, I'll take a heavy accurate rifle over a light accurate rifle.

When your going long 800+

Very few people have any business shooting at a game animal at that range. I don't care how accurate your rifle it, the rifle is the least important part of the equation at that sort of distance.

encom5, I'm not a hunter but a bench rest shooter. Some long range shooters can hit a steel target at 1000 yards. I would guess there are some hunters that are capable of getting a kill shot at long distances also. If that's your sport who am I to put it down.

Some long range shooters can hit a steel target at 1000 yards.

Hitting a white silhouette target at a known, measured distance that you've previously sighted in on is one thing, hitting an animal's vital spot at an unknown distance and having to compensate for drop is quite another.

I'd suggest that anyone contemplating long distance hunting take an ordinary 9" paper plate and shoot 10 shots at it at an unknown distance over 800 yards. See if you can keep all your shots on it under hunting conditions, i.e. not from a bench unless you hunt from one.

If you can't keep them all on the plate, then move it closer until you can consistently. It's a good bet that distance is going to be a whole lot closer than 800 yards.

All that said, the Ruger Precision Rifle looks like as good a rifle as your going to find for the task, although the thought of dragging a 12+ lb rig around looking for game is not an appealing prospect.

The RPR is a very good rifle, and I have one, as well as some other long range rigs, and I hunt a lot as well. I would not consider the RPR to be a great hunting rifle, more that it will do in a pinch. Too much weight.

800 yards is a long ways to shoot at game. Hitting is different than killing. Stuff gets goofy past 700 and the animal behavior is as big a part as anything else. Wind, mirage, different DA.

I have done natman's test, or at least pretty close to it. But, for me, it is energy, not accuracy, not game behavior, not wind, that sets my limits for how far I will shoot at game. Most hunting bullets have a minimum velocity in which they will perform and when we are talking .308 case based cartridges, 700 yards is too far most of the time.

The 6.5 is a nice round for long range target shooting. It makes those who would struggle at a range using the 308 manage to may be have a fun day at the range under same wind w/ a 6.5 (in general). If you shoot at 300 yards or shorter, then the 308 can be cheaper to shoot if you reload since once fired 308 cases are easier and cheaper to get. If 308 recoil is an issue, get a Witt Machine muzzle brake for $85.

Hitting a white silhouette target at a known, measured distance that you've previously sighted in on is one thing, hitting an animal's vital spot at an unknown distance and having to compensate for drop is quite another.

I'd suggest that anyone contemplating long distance hunting take an ordinary 9" paper plate and shoot 10 shots at it at an unknown distance over 800 yards. See if you can keep all your shots on it under hunting conditions, i.e. not from a bench unless you hunt from one.

If you can't keep them all on the plate, then move it closer until you can consistently. It's a good bet that distance is going to be a whole lot closer than 800 yards.

All that said, the Ruger Precision Rifle looks like as good a rifle as your going to find for the task, although the thought of dragging a 12+ lb rig around looking for game is not an appealing prospect.

I would venture to say a bench rest shooter firing at a paper plate at an unknown distance past 800 yards isn't going to make any hits either. Obviously guys hunting long range are utilizing range finders and to suggest otherwise is simply twisting favor on the story being told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would venture to say a bench rest shooter firing at a paper plate at an unknown distance past 800 yards isn't going to make any hits either. Obviously guys hunting long range are utilizing range finders and to suggest otherwise is simply twisting favor on the story being told.

Fair point. When I said "unknown distance" I meant one not known in advance, and not previously sighted in. I didn't mean to imply that you weren't allowed find out the distance with a range finder.

I would think that you'd have to use a range finder that will take a reading off of an animal hide, not a vertical steel plate.

Yes, a good rangefinder is almost a necessity past about 500...unless you are hunting power lines or gridded land and know the numbers. I had a Bushnell 1500 and ran out of range a few years ago. Using the SIG Kilo now and I can range game to at least 1280 now. :D

I like the RPR, I got one for my wife in 6.5 CM, and my son just picked up one in 308.

Personally my go to long range target rifle is a Model 70 Target Rifle in 308.

The 6.5 CM is an excellent long range rounds.

But lets not get carried away, its not about the rifle, or cartridge, long range shooting is about fundamentals and the ability to "weaponize math".

You have to take into account weather, humidity, elevation, wind, temp., angles, etc.

Anyone or combination of the above can cause you to muff the shot.

Range finders are great, if you get the right one and set it up properly.

I use the BR7. If you set it up right, to 1400 yards it will take in most of the above environmental concerns. Just range the targets, it gives you the "come ups" and to a point, the adjustments for wind.

But it all goes out the window without good proper fundamentals.

As to the PRR (and other target rifles) being heavy, that is an advantage.

Follow through is critical. We have a tendency to relax as the hammer falls. This causes movement of the rifle, and since it takes more effort to move a heavy object then a light one, the weight of the RPR is important.

For example, as mentioned my wife has a RPR and I have a Ruger American Predator, both in 6.5 CM. Using the same ammo they shoot the same place, the Predator is just as accurate. But its harder to shoot unless you have a good solid RELAXED, position. When totally relaxed, and the hammer falls, and you relax, you don't disturb the rifle because you have already in the place where you would naturally fall when the hammer falls.

As to heavy hunting rifles. There are basically two ways to hunt. Stalking and Glassing. I use to run through the woods (when I was younger) stalking, trying to be super quiet etc. Now I'm old, I don't run anywhere. So I set and glass. I'll set all day in one spot, far enough from where I would see the critters without disturbing them. I can also smoke, and fire up my little gas stove and make coffee. I'm far enough away the critters arnt spooked so I have time to set up.

I've found out I see a lot more animals, and I also found that a heavy rifle is not a disadvantage. But this is also where my BR7 comes in. It gives me confidence to judge distance and conditions and make any necessary corrections to my zero.

The RPR in 6.5 CM (with proper bullets) is excellent for this type of hunting.

But like anything else, it takes lots of work. I dabble in precision rifle shooting. I have a place I can shoot in excess of 2000 yards. I set up my steel 8 inch target, load up on my 4-wheeler and drive all over the range, stopping here and there to engage the target at unk. ranges, angles, wind directions etc.

I enjoy this as much as hunting. Not being in the mountains, but the hunting itself. Heavy rifles aren't a disadvantage here either.

I am watching the reviews of the new Ruger with great interest.
If they offer it in 7-08 I will probably buy one.

So far I have read nothing about the Ruger Precision that is a red flag.

I have a good 308, so I have no desire to get another one.
I'd like a 7MM instead of the 6.5MM.
The 6.5 is probably fine, but I like the selection of 7MM bullets better than what I have seen in the 6.5 size. I like long range shooting, but to me it's still about hunting and not competition. For hunting I like what I can get in the .284" size better than what I can get in the .264" size.

Wyosmith:
I haven't figured out how to cut/paste so it lets you know I commented back to you but this is my take on the 7-08.
I shoot the 7-08 long range and it is a stellar round (mine likes the Berger/Sierras) and performs excellently in bolt rifle.
I saw an article comparing different calibers in the ar and the 7-08 was not impressive. I don't know why, or how accurate the article was (did they try another 7-08 manufacture, etc), but some other calibers performed well so assume the testing was equal.
Then again, if Ruger put it under the Ruger Precision Rifle, you'd think it would be so.
At any rate, may want to get several reviews on the caliber in an ar before buying.
Picture this, a bull barreled 7mm precision ar!!! Whoa!!!!

Back