Ruger Preciscion Magnum .300 Win Mag

m&p45acp10+1

I am now the owner of my second RPR. The first one being a 6.5 Creedmoor. The second one being a magnum version. The one I got is .300 WM. I was on the fence between .338 LM and the .300 WM. In the end the lower price per round .300 WM won out.

It is heavy. 15 pounds without a scope, and no magazine in it. Mine is heavier now wearing a Night Force SHV 4-14X50 scope, in NF rings. I have cleaned it. Boy that bore was full of black crud. They must have tested it with cheap dirty ammo. It is now cleaned, and ready for sight in.

I purchased reloading dies, brass, primers, and powder. (Somehow failed to pick up bullets at Cabela's.) I will pick up some projectiles at Acadamy in the morning. The powder I have is H4831SC. I will be trying some of the heavy for caliber bullets first. I also have a Box of Federal factory 180 grain SP to test feeding, and function with first. Then I will try working up a load for it.

I will check back in, and report how it is doing in a day or two.

I was able to go the range yesterday, and put 70 rounds down range.

3 rounds were for the sight in, and fouling. After that I shot for groups. A handload using 208 grain ELD-Match, Hornady brass, Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers, and 4831SC powder gave groups of quarter to half MOA. The rifle shoots like a pup. It is loud, the recoil is low. I put 70 rounds from the bench and am no worse for wear. I have fired a .243 that had worse recoil.

I now have a good load so I am going to stick with it. I am the weak link as of this point.

M&P,
You might wanna check in with Kilotanker.
He's been doing some load development for his 300 Win Mag with the heavier bullets.
I think he's using RL26, and H1000.

Sako I will be testing for the lighter 173 or 178 grain ELD-M at a later time. Also I am going to be testing the load with some other primers. I like to have a load worked up that if I have to change primers due to lack of availability the load will still work well. Also it helps to have one I can use mixed head stamp brass with as well. My favorite brand of brass is free brass from the range. When sight in for deer season happens I find brass that has been put back into the packaging, and left for me. What has blown my mind is when I see the price on the receipt for the ammo.

The scale here says it weighs just a hair shy of 20 pounds with the Night Force scope, rings, and a full magazine inserted and the chamber empty. It is also huge. at 52 inches with the stock fully extended. Strange but true for now it rides in a cheapo hard shell case. I will be getting one of the wheeled cases for it later on down the road when I can drop that much on a case.

I’m loading the 200grn ELD-X over 73grn of RL22 set .02 off the lands and set off by a WLRM primer in my Sako 85 Finnlight, I had to shoot multiple groups before I believed how accurate it was and it’s dang nasty on game.

When I can find some I may pick up a couple of other powders. 4831SC is what I can find on the shelves here. I would love to pick up RL26 or H1000. No one has any on the shelf. Ordering online for a powder I am only going to test with is not practical as the HazMat fee nearly doubles the price of a pound of powder. Due to budget I am at the point I pick up a pound or two when I can, and build up supplies. I will try to pinch pennies, and save up for an 8 pounder as .300 WM takes a whole lot of powder.

The closest I can find to those two is either RL15 (Have 4 pounds for my 6.5CM and heavy .223 Rem loads.) or RL19 and 20. I am looking for H1000 as from what I am hearing from the .300 WM crowd it is the schtuff for 178 grain bullets. I have 200 of those to test out.

I will be trying to save back enough for an 8 pounder of the 4831SC as it works so well with the 208 Grain ELD-M I will stick with it. I use an electronic powder dispenser so every charge is weighed, and I do not have to worry how a powder meters through a thrower. (AA2015, and RL7 I use my UniFlow they meter so well I do not have to weigh the charges for my .221 Fireball loads with them.)

Sako I think RL7 is too fast. No RL17 local. I am looking out for H1000. The 4831 load is giving me sub half MOA. I would be hard pressed to find a load that will do better than that under the conditions of the range I shoot at. (Wind moves target boards like sails.) Yesterday while the wind was calm I managed 3 5 shot groups that were under half an inch from outside edge to outside edge.

Back