Ruger Pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob96

Looking at it from a "service" stand point how do the Ruger pistols in .45ACP and .40S&W rate? How is their accuracy and reliability? Thanks for your input.

Ruger's are well known for two things. Accuracy and durability. I have experience with their P series pistols and they are all good. I currently own and carry the P97 (45ACP) and am very happy with it. For the money you can't buy a better gun, period. I paid $350 for mine and it shoots as good, and from the test results I've seen in recent magazines, better then most other 45's. If I put $200 worth of upgrades into it it would then cost the same as the others but blow them all away. Plus their customer service is tops. You will hear some isolated stories here and there but overall they stand behind their product.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I'd have to disagree with leedesert a bit, as his statement is a little too broad. Their rifles are very accurate (expecially the .22s), their revolvers are highly regarded, but the semi-auto pistols are considered the GMC Trucks of the business: durable and reliable.

On the other hand, the gun he has is gaining a well-deserved reputation for accuracy, as is the new P-95. I had a P-95 for about a year and foolishly traded "up" for a Sig P-239. (Nothing wrong with the P-239, but it didn't really fit my hand -- a problem that wasn't immediately obvious.)

With regard to the Makarov:

At the pistol range (which is also a gun shop) one of the regular shooters came in and bought a Bulgarian Mak that was in the display case. Took it out on the range. After the second clip he was shooting 2" groups at 30 feet. (The guy was a pretty good shot: I let him shoot my luger -- and he shot it 3 times at the same distance. Two shots in one hole and a second one about a 1/4" to the right.)

The Mak was new, and the trigger was a little rough -- but it shot very. At least as well as my Kel-Tec P11. (Of course, mine is 9x19 and can use 10 or 12 or 15 round magazines.)
He paid $180.

I think I'll look around for a East German one someday soon.

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited September 04, 1999).]

Had a P 94 in a 9mm and traded for a .40. I find the Ruger very accurate and extrememly reliable. Only problem I have had was the 9mm decocker would not bring the hammer down over a period of time, think the slide became loose on the rails, because it would decock while holding the lever down and pushing on the back of the slide. Sent it back to Ruger and they fixed it without a problem for free, even sent a new case for it. I wish they would make a .40 in the new polymer but will glady use my P94 till then. Never had a failure with either gun.

I have a Ruger P-95 and i've put about 700 rounds through it. I find it very accurate with most ammo, but the CCI Blazer with the aluminum case failed to extract and feed properly twice. Use any normal ammo, and you should be ok.

I really like how simple it is to operate and disassemble. The decocker is is the way to go in my opinion, but I think my next gun will have a consistant trigger. I like the safety of a DA, but don't think I'd be all that steady on the crucial "first shot." I'll go with either a Glock 19 or 23.

Get the P-95 or P-94... you won't regret it!

Ben

To compare the Ruger semi-autos with GMC trucks is absolutely unfair...GM/GMC couldn't build a decent car or truck if their corporate existance depended on it. GM/GMC have the worst track record for dependability and reliabliity in the business. On the other hand, the Rugers are beautiful weapons. Duriability is their trademark. I would say that ruger semi-autos rival the Glocks in durability, which is great place to be in my book.

I do not own a ruger semiauto, but have hade the opportunity to fire just about every model they offer, except the polymer types, and have found them to be all very reliable and good shooters all around. I currently have a Ruger GP-100 which serves as a field gun and home defence weapon and have absolutely fallen in love with it.

When you want to buy a gun that will stand up to heavy use, work when you need it to, not cost three months salary, and put rounds where you want them to go, Ruger should be one of the first places you look...when you're buying a car or truck, GM should be the last place you look. Ruger is probably one of the only exceptions to the rule, "You get what you pay for." Shoot Rugers at the range, and depend on Toyota to get you there. The best built car in America today.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

[This message has been edited by PeterGunn (edited September 05, 1999).]

Glad to see that someone shot down the GM comparison... I sure wasn't going to be the one to catch all the flak from it. Go Toyota!, and go RUGER.

Ben

Great choice, Ruger pistols are tough as nails, from a service stand point, I'll take that quality any day!

I got a Ruger Mark II KMK-512 in .22LR caliber. Extremely accurate, and very
durable. This gun will definitely "out
shoot the shooter".

------------------
Ala Dan

Ok, Ok. I stand corrected on the GM analogy. So, pick the rugged dependable truck of your choice. But think BIGGER truck than Toyota can make. (Not everybody drives small pickups, which are often little more than rough-riding sedans with a bigger, lidless trunks.) How about Kenworth?

While the specific analogy was wrong, the idea was right: Ruger semi-autos are considered solid, workaday pistols: reliable, rugged, and giving good service. Their warranty (what warranty?) service is outstanding -- far better than any of the other major manufacturers.

They are reasonably accurate, but not tackdrivers. I don't think its an accident that you don't see them at target / bullesye matches. You do see SOME at IDPA matches (I've only seen the P-95s), but not many.

I have a Ruger Standard (which is ANIB, set aside as a collector's gun), and a Mk II Target Competition. It shoots far better than I do.

My comments were implicitly about semi-autos of the class that prompted this whole string: center fire... I think the new polymer-framed guns may be starting a new line of more-accurate Rugers.

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited September 05, 1999).]

Hey Walt,

What about the Toyota Tundra. It is a full size pickup with an available v-8. Not bad, huh. I drive a Ford Ranger myself and love it. Very dependable.

------------------

PeterGunn

Well, I just sold my 1991 GMC Sonoma which was great the entire time that I owned it and was still running great when I sold it. I just wanted something new. So, what did I buy this time? A 1999 Chevy s-10 (same thing)!!! If the Rugers are as good as my truck, I just may have to buy one although I really want a Sig.

Don't you guys ever read Consumer Reports...GM sucks.

------------------

PeterGunn

Hey Walt,
At what point did you disagree with me. You said you disagree and then you went and supported everything I said. If it's the best you can buy for $350 comment then how about this...
Name me another Polymer 45ACP you can buy that will outlast, outshoot, and out tech-support the Ruger P97. Don't go by retail prices. Put your sneakers on, turn off the cpr and go shopping.
(fingers tapping)...I'm waiting.

Leedesert:

You asked where I disagreed with you? You said Rugers were known for their durability and accuracy.

I disagreed about accuracy with regard to their semi-auto center fire pistols: I said they were NOT known for their accuracy.
(But I did agree that the P-95s and P-97s were starting to earn a good reputation in that regard). There an awful lot of other P-based Ruger semi-autos out there, and they have established a reputation for great durability and middling accuracy. But, that said, I think the P-95 and P-97 are a step up from the others in the P-series.

Where can you find a polymer frame .45 of comparable performance for a similar price? It would be hard -- although some of the small Uzi Eagle (CZ-75 based) guns will give them a run for their money. The 9mm version, known as the Baby Eagle, generally sells for under $300, and may be as good as the P-95, or better; I'm not sure about the performance of the larger guns in the Uzi Eagle line.

We can both agree that none of these non-Ruger guns will offer the same quality of "customer service" you'll get with the Ruger...

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited September 07, 1999).]

O.K. Walt,
I also agree with you about accuracy, untill I look at the price. I have never shot the Uzi's but if they were much more accurate they would be on the front cover of every magazine.
When I buy a gun that is going to be carried for defense I look for the whole package, (Accuracy, durability, manufacture support).

So are any of you wondering if I'm actually Sturm Ruger...lol
I just like their guns.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

It is strange how someone who has never owned a particular pistol can determine if a pistol is reliable or unreliable just by firing one, and then recommend it! ;)

With that said the Ruger semi autos I have owned for several years are reliable and reasonably accurate. In my personal experience their ergonomics leave much to be desired. If I were going to recommend a low cost semi auto pistol Rugers wouldn't be at the top of my list.
Hiker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back