RUGER PC9 CARBINE.

I was unimpressed with one I tried at the range. Recoil was surprisingly brisk, handling was poor in part because the gun is HEAVY, much heavier than expected. Sights are mediocre.

I am sure it would improve on other makes in durability...but for handling and shootability, Marlin camp carbine (esp. in 45acp) or Hi-Point would do better. However, I amnot convinced that Hi-Point would be durable enough.

If you already have lots of regular capacity Ruger magazines, you might want to consider it...but shoot it first to see if you like it.

I ended up going with M1 carbine simply because of better handing and magazine availability. On the down side, I will probably have to start reloading for it soon.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

I've fired both the PC9 and PC40 and don't find the recoil to be bad on either. Why? Because both carbines, which appears to be 5.5 lbs, are somewhat over 7 lbs and because of that excessive weight, handle recoil well. If anything, they're too heavy for a pistol cailber carbine. Ruger engineered them that way so as to make them blowback. I'd wish they had used the delayed roller locking blowback system of HK or Calico. We'd would have had a 4.5 lb carbine that way.

Don't try a detailed dissassembly on your own on it. It can be done, but it can be messy.

Despite its fault (weight), I still think it would a nifty patrol carbine which could be issued in lieu of a .223 rifle. With a red dot sight, it should be capable of head shots at 75 yards and with it's pistol compatible magazine, you don't have to lug around extra mags. Mind you, I think the reason why a department would issue a patrol rifle and the pistol caliber carbine are different.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I bought a PC9 a couple of years ago, after being very disappointed in the Marlin Camp Carbines that I tried.
For some reason my PC9 has a decent trigger. I put a 1-3x Weaver scope on it and it is very quick and accurate. The original factory sights are poor.
The Camp Carbines that I have fired (3 of them in 9 and .45) had very bad triggers and feeding problems.
I have also fired 100 rounds through one High Point carbine. I found it reliable and accurate, but I also doubt its ruggedness.

Neil Casper

I have a PC-9 and I love it. It is never jams, even with the cheap 30 round USA mags. It likes +p corbon. The High Point and the Marlin are not rated for +P. With the red dot scope any body can make good shots with it. I did have the trigger lighted. Shooting +p corbons you have 30 rounds of 357 pistol power with 22 pistol noise. It is my favorite house gun for most situations.

Best Regards,
Sam

My PC9 is one of my favorite guns. Accurate to 4 in at 50yd using the factory sights and cheap Russian ammo. From a bench I can normally get 2 in at 50yd with the factory sights. When I got mine, the ghost ring option was not there yet, but would get it with the ghost rings if I were to buy it today.

My only problem has been related to magazines. Unlike Sam, the only mags which have worked for me without jamming are the factory 10 and 15 rounders, MecGar 15 and 17 rounders and Promag 15 rounders. Use the factory and MecGar for defense and the Promag for the range.

--Westincar

Back