Ruger PC-9 (should I buy one)?

Jeff N

Inactive
Does any one have any experience shooting a PC-9? I shot one once and found it extremely accurate, Now I want one (the sickness is getting out of hand). Does anyone have an opinion on this gun. I am looking for likes & dislikes on this gun.

Thanks Jeff N

I don't know about a PC-9, but I have a PC-4. When you say "extremely accurate", at what distance were you shooting? Anyway, I like my PC-4 from 50 yards and closer. At 100 yards, it's not exactly a tack-driver. The nice thing about a PC-9 is the availability of 30 round P-85 USA mags that can be purchased for $25 or so. I just got a 1.5-4.5x32 BSA Cats Eye shotgun scope today that I'm interested in dialing-in soon. I had a 4-16x40 BSA Contender that was too much power for this rig. I have a 9mm Kel-Tec Sub-9 Carbine that is very accurate at 50 yards and closer, otherwise I'd consider getting a PC-9.
My one big gripe re the PC-4 is the crummy trigger. Also, it's a little hard to clean the bore due to it's design. It's a little hard to describe but it's a folding, flap-like thing that gets in the way of the cleaning rod. Other than those things, it's pretty cool.

Later,
Rich

My opinions on PCCs (pistol caliber carbines) in general:

-If you will never have enough $$ to buy a more powerful rifle
-If you absolutely MUST have ammo compatibility between handgun and rifle
-If you will have one and only one rifle, EVER

...then a PCC is for you!

I haven't priced Ruger PC-9s lately but the first time I saw the price tag on one, my first thought was "Why not just get a Mini-14 for almost the same money??"

Having semi-auto is nice, but for the step down in power in a handgun caliber, I'd actually rather have a Lee-Enfield #4 for $100 with a lot more THUMP going out there than a PCC.

My semi-auto favorite is my AR-15, BTW. I realize that's a whole new price range.

Just my opinion.

Edmund

Hmm.. One very nice thing about a PCC is being able to use it at any indoor range that only allows pistol caliber cartridges. Otherwise, I, too, would prefer something along the lines of a Mini-14 in that price range. Or, you could get a .22lr conversion if you had an AR-15. I have a Ciener .22lr conversion for my CAR-15 which is very fun to use at any range, indoor or outdoor, in my neck of the woods. I believe that Ciener makes a .22lr conversion for a Mini-14 as well but of course, that doesn't fit within the parameters of being in the same price range as a PC-9.
Getting back to the original post, one of my personal likes of a PC-9 would be it's ability to be used at any range that only allows pistol caliber cartridges. Another would be the way it seems to annoy those that simply don't like PCC's. :)

Later,
Rich

I have a PC9. I bought it to shoot in 3 gun matches at a range in north-east Ohio that only allows pistol caliber carbines for the "rifle" stage. I put a Weaver 1x3 scope on it. It is very fast at 1x, and for smaller targets at longer pistol range, 3x works pretty good. A good dot sight should be real fast. I haven't shot one of the newer ones with the ghost ring rear sight, but I have handled one and it should work. I just wonder if the rear aperture might be kind of big for finer work at 50-100 yds.
When I first got this carbine I cleaned it and then put about 500 rounds through it to check reliability. It did start to mess up around the 500 rd. range. I did this twice with very similar results. Now I clean it every 250-300 rds. and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I could have had a PC4, but for punching holes in paper and knocking down steel, this is fine, with cheaper ammo and larger capacity mags available. I would recmmend one if you know what you want it for.
Cat

I looked at the Ruger PC-9, and I liked it, but I liked the Kel-Tec Sub 9 even more. The Sub 9 is more expensive and I haven't seen very many, but it is one cool rifle that can be folded in half. It shoots well too. Unfortunately, cleaning it has become a gigantic task which has already eaten its share of my flesh and patience. The instruction booklet says stuff like, "don't pull the pin all the way out" (which is very easy to do) then "PING" you've just shot a microscopic part of the gun across the room. It also says, if you release the hammer when the gun is disassembled the gun will become inoperable. Ok, by accident I did this too. I fixed it, but now I know every hidden spot on the gun better than on my wife!

Ok, 'nuff said. I like it. Pistol cartridges are cheap, don't recoil much and with the Sub 9, offer a lot of mid-range accurate firepower in a very small package.

I think it'd be pretty cool to turn a PC9 into a Bullpup, but there don't seem to be any after-market stocks for them.

Hey, T&J. I, too, had the boing problem with my Sub-9. Call Kel-Tec and they'll send you a new recoil spring assembly for free. :) Also, to avoid releasing the hammer when field-stripping it, put the safety in the safe position. This will prevent the hammer from moving forward.

Later,
Rich

I finally got to take my PC-4 out today to test a new BSA Cats Eye 1.5-4.5x32 shotgun scope. It's still nowhere near being a tack-driver but 4" groups with a flyer or two :) at 100 yards is decent, IMO. I also took my CAR-15 with a BSA Contender 4-16x40 scope and it was much more accurate, but both were just as fun to use. If your life isn't on the line and you aren't hunting, then something like a PC-9 is simply fun to use. At indoor or outdoor ranges.

Later,
Rich

Back