Ruger P97DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblack

I have had some problems with my Ruger P97, and was just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with their's. Please advise
Thanks Rod Black

Tell me what they are. I've had mine since Feb and have put over 2000 rds through it. I had a trigger problem and Ruger took care of it. Feel free to email me but the forum would be best to share with others.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I bought the pistol about the 1st of Sept. and naturally took it to the range. With a loaded chamber and fully cocked, when you would pull the trigger, the hammer would only partially fall, and you would have to finish the shot with a full double action pull. This in turn would cause the mag to release. I had my gun shop send it in to Ruger and two months later I got it back.
They replaced the hammer and the sear. I took it to the range and tried it out. Jam, jam, jam. I discover the extractor was not installed correctly, so I took it apart myself at the range and reinstalled it.
To my suprise, I am far from a gunsmith, that fixed the gun. It now shoots anything I put thru it, except that it shoots about 2" high at 15 yards. Ruger is sending me a lower rear sight. In spite of the problems I had at first, I really like this gun, it shoots great, feels great in my hand and is a breeze to take down and put back together
Rod Black

The RugerP97 was my very first gun. Bought it 3 months ago.

So far out of about 2000 rounds I've had 5 jams.. and I am pretty sure it's my fault, limp wristing...

Other than that I haven't had one problem with my gun... only thing i've done to it is put a Hogue slide over grip for it.

Eats any ammo I give it, likes Fed hydrashok's the best.

One thing I'd change about it... smoother double action pull. And I'm sure I can get that taken care when it bothers me enough. would also like to have the single action pull a little crisper.

Since then I've gotton another handgun. Desert Eagle .44 magnum. Thats my fun gun, hehehe, but as the gun to defend myself with at home... the Ruger P97 stays loaded. Witch will probaly change when I get enough cash to get a H&K USP. I'll have to see if I like it as much as my Ruger first. :)

-Frank (the spank)

You seem to have gotten a one with some problems. Trust me, you are the exception. My problem was a slight catch in the trigger pull. They had to replace the trigger bar and the sear.
One thing I would suggest in the future is to send your gun directly to Ruger if your gun smith can't fix it. UPS will ship it if you bring it to a UPS office and send it next day mail. It cost me $24 with insurance and Ruger reimbursed me.
The next is to make contact with a pistol smith at Ruger. He will try to help you fix it over the phone. Once you make contact remember his name and touch base with him every so often until you get it back.
When we determined I should send it in I told him that this is my primary CCW gun and hate giving it up for so long. He said he would expedite it when it came and get it back to me quick. When they fixed it and test fired it he called me and told me the trigger pull is better then new. The next day I UPS delivered my gun for a total of 7 days without my P97.
When I sent my gun in I added a note in the box telling them how much I appreciate their company and the reputation they have earned from so many people. I also praised the technician who helped me on the phone.

Along with a refund for my shipping they sent me a new 8rnd magazine. I had asked if I could get the mag instead of the refund. They sent me both.

I'm sure that note helped encourage the good support I got but even if it didn't, I like good companies to know that I think they are good. It's up to them to live up to it.

I also sent them a Thank you note.

Happy shooting

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I have nothing but praise for Ruger (except for him being a d*+k about the hi-cap legislation). I have a Redhawk, a 22/45, a Mini 14, a KP95, a 10/22, and used to have a P94 (I sold that so I could get the P95). Never had any problems with the guns except the 10/22 jammed alot when new, and didn't like the Butler Creek "Hot Lips" hi caps, but now it shoots great with no modifications.
The Mini 14 is a longer story, but one I feel I should relate. After about 350 rounds, I broke the firing pin the same day my shooting buddie broke his! The culprit? That damn steel cased Russian .223 crap! The lacquer on the primers (which were also way harder than they had to be) melted off flakes that clogged up the firing pin hole, creating side pressure on the firing pin. Anyway, I sent it off to New Hampshire along with a very encouraging and pleasant note like the other poster. I called 3 days later and related my woes to the customer service rep. She immediately put my gun on "ALERT!". I called 8 DAYS after originally sending off my gun again to check on the status (I was worried they were going to say it was my fault and they weren't going to fix it), and they told me the gun was shipped back to my dealer 2 days ago! The gun came back with a brand new box and an official form noting what exactly they did. The gun has been magnificent ever since...just don't shoot the "Sleeping Bear" Russkie crap. Now that's service.
I just wish I didn't have to shell out my left nut for one of those factory hi-caps. Thanks, Bill! ;)

After I shot my P97 for a while at the range it developed and very small hitch in the single action trigger pull. I probably put about 150 rounds thru it of swc and hardball, so it was getting pretty dirty. When I got home I cleaned it with hopps #9, sprayed it out real good with Kleen Bore gunk-out and lubed it. The hitch in the trigger disappeared. I keep all my guns very clean and lightly lubed. +P Stainless steel lube on the rails works very well, made by Rig. For the price, nothing comes close to the Ruger P97.
Rod Black

At the NH plant, quite a few of those customer service folks are women who have worked on the assembly line for years and have completed the Ruger Armourers' School.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gentlemen - I like the Ruger P97; the
curved trigger it has and its styling far
outclass the straighter trigger design of
the earlier P90 .45 ACP.
The original P97 I bought
on closer inspection, once home from the
seller, was found to be cosmetically
flawed, with poorly turned curves in the
metal of the slide's muzzle and mold
casting voids in the polymer frame. I