Ruger P95DC opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stang

Inactive
New owner of a P95 here and was searching the web looking for any info on it. Needless, to say I came across this site and I'm very impressed with all the firearm knowledge. I just wanted any thoughts on its performance. What is the best ammo for home defense/self protection purposes? The grip fits my hand good, but I'm sure it could be a little more comfortable. Any thoughts on aftermarket grips. Also, what would be the best non-Ruger magazines. Thanks in advance and great site.

Ammo is a "personal" thing -- in the sense of its intended use and what works best in a given gun. (Two P-95s, coming down the assembly line, one after another, may have different performance with the same ammo.)
Try several different brands.

I had (sold it, regret having done it) a P-95 and used Sellier & Bellot for practice at the range, and Golden Sabre of comparable weight/power for concealed carry. If you buy in bulk, Sellier & Bellot can be very inexpensive -- around $6.00 a box.

Its a very good gun, and one of the best bargins going...

Think about getting a trigger job...

After-market magazines are a crap-shoot: some will work beautifully, some won't. Your best bet is to stick to Ruger-brand magazines, but, if you can find some cheap 15-rounders (any 9mm magazine designed for the P-series pistols should work), take a gamble.

You're stuck with the grips you've got. This is a polymer frame gun and you can't change the grips. But, you can get the slip-on (Hogue Handall, et. al) grips, and they help reduce slipping, etc. They don't reduce recoil.

Night sights might be a nice addition, later.

I still think my Ruger P-95 was the best gun you could buy for the money. I did tons of research before buying one on my 21 birthday. It's probably the best beginners 9mm autoloader on the market. By far the best value.

As far as ammo is concerned. I've used CCI Blazer for practice because it's only 6.99 box and Sellier & Bellot is the same price. I've started using S&B almost exclusively because of it's price and accuracy. The Blazer has an aluminum case which my Ruger didn't like to extract. It happened 2-3 times in about 200+ rounds. I still consider it great for practice. Ive NEVER had any failures with S&B (brass case).

Self defense ammo is abundant, and I found that Federal Hyrda-shok 124gr was piss poor in accuracy. I'm going to also try Cor-Bon, Hornady, Remington GS 124gr +p, Black Hills, and Speer Gold Dots until I find an ACCURATE round. To me that is the second most important feature, after reliability of course. I'm also gonna give Georgia Arms a GO because they have the best ammo prices anywhere. If you want any of these links, email me.

Ben

Thanks for the info guys, I'm heading to the range tomorrow and plan to be there all day so I'll try a variety of ammo. I'm looking into getting the slip-on grips. If anybody is interested Hogue website is http://www.getgrip.com and you can request a free catalog. Happy shooting.

Don't get one of those slip on grips. I had one once. I was at a firearms class and the blasted thing kept moving around with all of the ammo that we were sending downrange. I suggest that you practice a lot and the grip will become second nature to you. After all, if I learned to love my once despised S&W 4006 duty weapon after many, many hours of practice, you should have no problem learning to love the Ruger.

[This message has been edited by legacy38 (edited October 03, 1999).]

The Hogue grip might as well of been made for your gun. I have the P97 and this grip made a big difference. The narrow size of the P95 and P97 grip gives room for this type addition. It goes on nice and tight and hasn't moved after over 2000 rounds of fire. One suggestion. If you plan on carrying concealed your shirt may stick to the rubber on slip on. I carry IWB and it hasn't been a problem but I keep checking my shirt to make sure all is concealed.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

The P95 is the best kept secret in the firearms industry. Grips? I find that a short piece of bicycle innertube on the grip makes a world of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back