Ruger P95DC ( Any P series owner comments welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie223

Retired Screen Name
I own a new Ruger 9mm P95DC. I have fired it about 4 times at the range, and like it very much. Could other owners of Ruger P95's (and any other P series) pistols chime in on experiences, ammo, mags and high cap mag sources, and just about anything you have to say about a Ruger P series. I value your opinions. Thanks!

Oz

Well here is my 1.3 cents (adjusted for inflation) worths.

I am a Ruger fan and in love with anything that has Sturm, Ruger and Co. on it. I particularly love their revolvers and rifles.

That said, to your question. I have a P-90 45 and a P-93 9mm and would not trade them for any other style pistol. Both are reliable as all get out, though they dont get the oohhs and aaaahhss at the range that Sigs, Glocks, and HK's do... big deal. I own Sigs, Glocks (not HK's though) and I prefer shooting the Ruger P-90 over them all.

The P series is easy to strip and clean. Unlike my Kimber Compact Stainless (which I adore beyond mere love) which needs a piece of bent wire (paper clip really) to take the blasted gun apart. If you dont have the piece of wire, the gun aint coming apart.

Mr. Bill Ruger, to me hit a major home run with the P series and our military (as usual and for political reasons) made the wrong choice with the Berrettas.

No the Ruger's do not have the glitz and glitter of the other semis on the market, but when it comes to splitting hairs and crunch time, I would not feel the least bit underpowered with a Ruger at my side.

Well enough of my rambling.

Sincerely,

Judge Blackhawk

Individual Freedoms are best kept by individuals

I own a month-old P97 with about 650 rounds through the barrel. I'm well pleased with it. It feeds anything and everything, is accurate, and recoil is mild. I agree with the Judge re: ease of field stripping/cleaning. The only thing that's mildly annoying to me is the looooong trigger pull in DA. Unfortunately, no trigger mod appears to be possible (based on my conversation with Ruger customer service, and with a guy here at TFL who's gone through a Ruger Armorer's course). I have found that the trigger has gotten easier to deal with after dry snapping a couple thousand times. All in all, you have a great pistol!

------------------
GUN CONTROL =
VICTIM DISARMAMENT

Having borrowed it at the range, I'd attest to low recoil, accuracy, pleasant handling. Only complaints...weird DA and rather long re-set travel in SA. Very nice design indeeed, even if it is as ugly as a CZ52.

I own a P95DC. It is one of two guns that I really like. I would not trade it for anything. As for high-cap mags, not knowing where you live,all I can say is just haunt your local pawn shops,gun shows,etc. If you don't live in a really restrictive environment (like New York), you might try looking in the want adds of your local paper under "guns for sale", or "sporting goods", or something like that.

I have a P-95 that will fire out of lockup,
since I've bought 2 PJKs I think the Ruger is too fat, the Ruger will fire just about any 9mms ya feed it with good accuracy and low recoil, Ruger will not fix my gun cause of Corbon +p+ loads I admitted to firing, my
stupidity, but the phone affair was grating my nerves so I'm still hesitant to fire my
95 till I can figure out WHY the hammer will
drop while the front of slide and barrel are
pushed backwards. do you understand the no
lockup drop?

I have a Ruger P90 that has about 1500 rounds through it, and the more I shoot it, the more I like it.

I hear complaints a lot about the big grip. Anyone ever held a P-14? You want to talk about a BIG grip...

The trigger pull seems fine to me, another gripe from the gallery... and ugly? I think not, just different. I personally think Glocks are butt ugly.

Regarding accuracy, it shoots better than I do.

I wouldn't trade it for a 1911 clone glitz gun... (actually I would... then promptly sell the 1911 and go buy SEVERAL guns I have my eye on...)

Being in NM, concealed carry is not an option so I don't mind the size of the weapon.

Good product, excellent customer service, you really can't go wrong with a Ruger ANYTHING.

Now if I could only find that Blackhawk .41 I have been looking for...

------------------
"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

I too have a KP-95DC. This truly is one of the most reliable guns out there. Out of about 500 rounds so far (in the past 3 months) I have not had one problem--and do not expect to either. I purchased 2-15 Round Pro-Mags from Ajax Grips for about $16.95 and they too have worked flawlessly. (I've heard bad things about USA Mags, so you might want to stay away from them.) I also put on a Hogue Hand-All on the grip, just to get some finger groves and a slight palm swell--it makes the P-95 fit my hand perfectly. You have chosen an excellent pistol--I even like the looks of it--I don't know where people get off knocking its utilitarian charm. :)

zman

The P-95 is a great value. I'm glad to see that someone likes the Promag 15 rounders, think I'll get a few. Mine wouldn't shoot Federal Hydra-shoks accurately to save my life. I'm gonna try something with a Speer GD bullet next. Also gonna give Remington GS +p and Proload +p 115 (GD) and 124 gr a try. I use Hornady in the Beretta. Don't think I'll use CorBon in mine now with that other story.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

I have a P-94 in .40 with a PC4GR that uses the same magazines. I purchased these firearms because I wanted a rifle/pistol combo in the same caliber. Since I am not into revolvers and lever actions, it became a logical choice. The P-94, as others have stated, has a long DA trigger, but the SA is tolerable and the pistol is reliable and rugged. True, it does not win much admiration at the range, but it works without a hitch.

As for the issue of high capacity magazines, the Ruger .40 has 11 in the box for the LEO version, so you don't lose much by sticking with the 10 round kind. As for the 9mm variety, I suggest looking at Gun List and other such publications for advertised specials. Also, some gun shows and shops have a fair share too. They are around.

I suspect many people dislike Rugers due to Bill Ruger's controversial statements about firearm legislation over the years. If anything, Bill Ruger is his own man who does not take fecal displacement from anyone. You can see it in how he runs his business, speaks his mind, and designs his weapons. While I don't always agree with him, I admire his moxie.

I have a P90, and a P89. The P90 shoots great,way more accurate than I expected. The P89 blew up on me, but due to the strength of the gun, everything held together,and no one was hurt. I sent it back to Ruger on a Monday, and had it back in my hand the following Tuesday, good as new at no charge to me. It makes a great plate shooter, and with a bit of TLC on the trigger components, has a pretty good trigger. I think the Rugers are a great buy for the money. I'm thinking about a P97DAO next.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Zot - I am surprised that Ruger said they will not fix the gun because of use of Cor-Bon 9mm ammo. Not that I am that big a fan of Cor-Bon, but every Ruger pistol manual I have seen says that any commercially produced ammo is authorized for use in their pistols. Additionally, reports are that Ruger tested the guns with thousands of rounds of plus P plus ammo. Also, Cor-Bon 9mm is plus P, not plus P plus. Hmmm, is that a Ruger comment on Cor-Bon quality control or was it an excuse to not perform warranty work for some other reason and was a convenient way out? Ruger pistols' great claims to fame include their strength and ability to accomodate the hottest loads with equanimity. I wonder what gives? Lazarus

------------------
Lazarus

I have a 95 and beleive it to be a great value. We have shot about any thing we get our hands on through it and it has been perfect for realibility. It shoots strighter then I can hold.

I don`t have a P-95 but I do have a P-97DC. I`ve been just tickled with it. I only have about 500 rounds through it so far but it`s been far more accurate than I ever expected and 100% reliable. I added a Hogue grip sleeve,polished the face of the trigger and called Ruger for a taller rear sight to get my carry load hitting at point of aim,other than that it`s just as it came and suits me perfectly. IMO you can`t beat Ruger autos for the money. Marcus

I bought the original P85 after it came out. The weapon worked fine. There was a recall on the P85 for safety malfunction, someone had an AD when using the decocker. Luckily they were following proper protocol and no one was injured. That's when the recall was posted. Anyways, I sent mine in and after it came back, the safety selector broke in half. Sent it back again, got it back and had same problem. After sending it off the third time, it came back with a P89 slide on it. No problems in the over 10 years since. Now I have a factory two tone P series; P85 frame (grey phosphate) with a blued P89 slide. Also got a free magazine out of it, to make up for shipping costs to Ruger (they paid costs back to me).

I own a P97 and love it. It developed a small catch in the trigger pull while in single action. Ruger stayed on the phone with me for over an hour helping me disassemble the trigger bar, backstop, and sear. They talked me through cleaning and sanding down any ruff spots. Once togethor it still did it so they said to overnight mail it with the receipt taped to the box so they could reimburse for the shipping. They said they would expedite it back since it's my primary carry gun.
I sent it on Friday, they got it Saturday, and they were already test firing it Monday.
I said all that to say this.

The gun is good. Acurate and dependable.
The support and history of Ruger finish the package.
Be proud of your purchase and spend the money you saved over other guns on your training and ammo.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I own a Ruger KP94 .40. The gun has been 100% reliable and it is the most accurate gun I own. I had not shot this gun in a few months, and this thread prompted me to take it out today.

I am not the best shot around, but I had a couple of 5 shot strings with 4 rounds going through the same hole about the size of a quarter (from 25 feet). In each of these strings, the "flyer" was the first shot. The only consistency with each of these 1st shot flyers was that they were low. A couple were left and low, a couple were right and low. Any one else had this problem with their Ruger? Cause?

I suspect the reason is that this first round, being hand cycled, is not being seated in the chamber in the same way that the rounds being cycled by the gun are being seated. What do you think?

Frank

If the 1st shot was D/A there is without a doubt why the 1st round went somewhere else.The 1st double action round is the toughest to shoot. Even the most experienced shooter can go astray with the 1st round. That double action takes alot of practice to master.

If you had the hammer back on the 1st rounds then maybe your analigy is correct. Lets get some more responses. Im sure someone knows exactly why those 1st shots went all over !

------------------
TIM : )

Tim, I should have put in my initial post that the first shots were SA just like the 4 that followed it. With the very first string, I inserted the mag, racked the slide and fired SA. With the following strings, I inserted the mag, released the slide stop and fired. If no responses come through, I will probably start a new thread on this issue.

Frank

First , thanks for all your great posts. I haven't dealt with Ruger before, and it sounds like their customer service is the exact opposite of Colts. Very Nice.

Faiello5...I have only owned guns for a year or so, and that may be the reason it happens to me. My first shots have been more inaccurate than the next ones because I still flinch a bit on the first shot. Not so much on my AR's anymore, but it still happens to me on my shotgun and P95.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back