Ruger P95..... Any good?

KowHunter

A guy at work is willing to sell me a Ruger P95 along with 4 mags for $270
I have not seen the gun (hes bringing it tommorow) but its supposed to be in like new shape and has only been shot a few times. Anyone here have any experience with this gun?? Is this a good price to pay? Is the Ruger P95 a reliable quality handgun? Also.. do you know if you can use HIcap mags in this gun? Its about the right caliber for me since i like to shoot 9mm. I just dont really know anything else about the gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The general consensus about the P95 is that its the best 9mm Ruger has made.

I had one that traded in, in a moment of lust, for a Sig P-239. The Sig was great but didn't fit my hand (but I didn't really notice that until later.) I wish I had kept the P-95

Gun Tests magazine, recently compared the P-95 to the Sig 2009, the Glock 17, the H&K USP 9, and the Cz100, and gave it the top score, with the Glock 17 coming in a close second.

Personally, I prefer the Glock 17 over the Ruger P-95, the the 95 is a fine gun. And the price, with four magazines doesn't sound bad.

Sounds like a good deal, but I believe you're gonna be stuck with 10-rd. mags. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure there are no aftermarket hi-caps for the P-95 and I know Ruger didn't make any. It's still a great gun though, and with 4 mags included in the deal...too good to pass up.

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

Kowhunter,
The P95 will probably be accurate enough at 100 yards or more for the kind of hunting your handle implies. ;)

Oscar

Accurate ? Yep Reliable? yep Inexpensive? yep ugly ans a two assed mule backing into your driveway? YEP

But don't bet it won't shoot.

Dr.Rob

The P95 is a very good gun. I own one. No problems, eat's what it's fed, accurate for combat use. I qualified for my CCW with my P95. Now for the good news, ANY mag made for the Ruger P89 will fit the P95. Including the hi-cap's. Seek them and you will find them. his is a good deal, go for it!!!!

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun, there's no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Made a mistake there--I didn't realize the P95 would accept mags for the P89. There are plenty of hi-cap mags available for the P89 and they're still relatively cheap. I recently purchased some from Cheaper than Dirt and they were only $12.97, 15-rd. capacity, and they feed and function perfectly. Hard to beat their deals on mags.
Sorry about the mistake, not the first time I've been wrong--
Happy shooting

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

freedomlover: There is actually still an abundance of 15 roound mags to be found for the P95.

I'll be picking up a P95 in the next few weeks (unless that voice inside screaming "HALF INCH HOLES" forces me to buy the P97). I'll also add several 15 round mags. A local shop told me that he had all that I wanted for $40 a piece (factory mags). I think that I'll try to buy one a month for a while.

The P-95 is a great gun... mine was $269.00 new. Easy to strip, clean, shoot, it's accurate and very reliable. I wish the trigger were a little better. Sometimes I worry if the darn thing is going to shoot because the stroke is so long.

It may just be mine,
Definately worth the money... shoot his if you can before you buy it.
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Thank you for your quick replies... i really appreciate it. I will get to look at the gun tommorow.. is there anything in particular I should look at when handling the gun? He says its only had about 3-4 mags run thru it (10 rounders) and that he cleaned it after every time he shot it.. has owned it for about 6 months.. and just simply needs to sell it because he cant afford his car payments. So im sure the gun is in good shape.. but just in case are there any certain areas on the gun I should look at to make sure its in good working order? Is dry firing safe? Again thanks for your help.

Dry firing is safe, but live firing is much better. If he won't let you take it to the range and run some of your own ammo through it, then skip the deal.

If he will, shoot it. If it shoots well, buy it.

I picked up a P95 when it first came out and have been extremely happy with it ever since. It can be very accurate with the right load. Also picked up its big brother, the P97, earlier this year. Another good pistol. I've always been partial to the .45 :-)

[This message has been edited by mbott (edited December 11, 1999).]

Well.. last nite i looked at the pistol.. it was in like new condition.... perfect shape... he said he ran less than 1 box of ammo thru it and I think hes telling the truth. The gun came with the original hard case and manual and also came with 3 mags. All private sale for $275. Now im gona need to get a few hicap mags for it.... some P89 15 round ruger factory mags i guess. Thank you all for your help.. i realy appreciate it.

I was at a gun show today and saw the P95 NIB for $239.00 with 2 fac mags. I almost bought it as I already have the P97, but I was wrapped up with buying reloading equipment. I was sure tempted thou. Rod Black

Back