Ruger p94 question Also gen. complaint about slide mounted safety decock levers.

ammo first

On the p94 and the p944 is it possible to put the pistol in condition 1, (cocked and locked) with all trigger pulls coming in single action. I am reffering to the manual saftey model not the ones with a decocker. On numerous pistols these slide mounted combo decock/safety levers prevent the shooter from achieving condition 1. This may be fine for some but it leaves you with 2 diff. trigger pulls for your first two shots. (Being that these first 2 shots are most probably the most important) I feel this puts the shooter at a disadvantage for a number of reasons. I believe this also applies to beretta 92/96 series pistols. Anyhoo can anyone tell me if I can get either of these 2 brands of pistols into condition 1 without altering the factory setup? thanks for any feedback.

On the P94 cocked and locked is NOT possible. The slide mounted decocker/safety is just that , a safety and a decocker. If you want a full sized pistol that has the option of condition 1 but also the ability to decock or use as a safety you will have to look to the Taurus line of pistols or for more money the H&K line.

The Beretta 96 Combat is a single action only, is capable of condition one, has either a 5" or 6" barrel, target sights, and a factory tuned trigger, so it is possible with the Beretta, the MSRP of the combat model is $1341 (ouch). For what you want, I would take a serious look at a 1911 style gun.

DA autos just take a little practice but if you don't want to do that buy a CZ-75 they are cocked and locked capable with a 1911 style safety and they cost about the same as the rugers or a little more? I'm not sure about that. They are also much better guns.

shiro

If the 94's anything like the 95...

You'll see a button underneath and inside slide that gets pressed upwards when the trigger is pulled. A little arm swings upwards from the frame and presses it into the slide of the pistol when you pull the trigger. You can see this if you field-strip the pistol and pull the trigger.

Therefore, the only way for the gun to fire is to have that button pressed into the slide, and it shouldn't fire if kept cocked and holstered. But DON'T DO IT. I'm guessing that it's a Decock Only version which is exactly the way it should be carried: DECOCKED.

Ben

Back