Ruger P90, P94 or P95

rontrees

Hi Guys,
First of all I would like to say hi. I am new to this group as far as posting messages. I have been reading the forum for a couple of months no and finally decided to register and ask some guestions from the people who know a lot about guns. I have owned four guns since 1982 but at the present I only own 1. It is a S&W SW40VE Sigma in SS. I got a pretty good price on it and have no problems with it. It fits real good in my hand. I thought it was a pretty good gun. After reading alot of posts to this group, it sounds like alot of people don't care very much for this gun, as well as S&W in general. I understand the S&W issue. This brings me to my guestion. I am thinking about buying another pistol and see that a store in my area is having a sale on Rugers. I am going today to look at a model KP90(45), a KP94(40 S&W) and a KP95 (9mm). I have seen that the Rugers have been fairly well liked here. I think that I would just as soon get the KP90 or KP94. I don't think that I want the 9mm. This gun will be used basically for home defense, some plinking and some as a CCW. I do have a license. Thanks for any input.

I own the P94 in 9mm and love it. It is the most accurate 9mm I have owned or shot. Ruger firearms are built like tanks. From your post it sounds like you don't like the 9mm. So for all practicality I would suggest the P97. It is Rugers polymer framed .45acp. It would be a lot easier for CCW. No matter which one you pick, you won't go wrong.

Unless I bought it used at a really good price, I wouldn't buy an earlier model Ruger. The lowest model I'd go with is the P94.

As Ruger developed their line of pistols, each successive design became more clever. It was not merely a matter of streamlining a good gun but of reengineering some parts to be multitasked. Thus, the higher the number, the fewer the parts and the better looking the gun. The ultimate in refinement thus far is the P95 9mm and P97 45 acp polymer framed pistols. Much fewer parts than before and from an armorer's perspective, easier to work on to boot!

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the Sigma. The stigma against the Sigma is that it is a Glock clone. Don't dump a gun just became of other people's opinion. Since it's your life and the life of your loved ones on the line, it's your opinion which counts most.

Welcome aboard. Ruger semi-auto's are THE best VALUE in the pistol industry today. My shootin' buddy bought his when they first came out ('95 I believe) and still has his and loves it. Thousands and thousands of rounds and it's still solid, tight, durable and of course very, very reliable. Oh, forgot to mention it's a P-95. Lightweight, easy to carry and reliable 15rd hi-caps are still available and fairly reasonable. If I was going to conceal one of these pistols it would be the P-95. I've never owned a P-90 but I've heard nothing but good comments on them. Owned a P-94 in 40 cal for a short time and it typical Ruger- reliable, durable, and good value. Ruger semi's are good stuff! Best Regards, J. Parker

p94

I have the P-94 in .40 S&W. Its a great gun and alot of fun too shot. The only thing I didn;t like about it was the slide mounted saftey and the double action trigger pull. but other than that it is a great gun.

I used to have a Sigma 40V,it always treated me well but wasn`t exactly a tack driver. I sold it and bought a Ruger P-97 and haven`t looked back. The P-97 is a great gun all around. Super reliable,controlable,very accurate and concealable under a T shirt if need be in a Kytac Braveheart IWB rig. If you`d rather have a 9mm the P-95 should be just about as good. Marcus

Of the three, hands down KP94 in 40. I've shot all three and own the KP94. You cannot make it misfeed or misfire. Great gun for the money.

Never shot a .40 I liked.......

Seriously, I just don't like the sharp snap of the .40 cal and the less than ideal accuracy. I have shot every major manufacture's .40 (Ruger, HK, Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc) and my groups are not good in this caliber. Considering your list: P90, P94 (.40) or P95 I would rank them as follows:

P95 (best choice of those you list--excellent gun)
P90 (great caliber, average gun)
P94 .40 cal (good gun, less than ideal caliber IMO)

I don't mean to start a caliber war, but I just don't like the .40 much....

[Edited by Quantum Singularity on 01-09-2001 at 12:30 AM]

Since you said you don't want a 9mm, chose the gun from the caliber you want. If you decide on the 40, the P94 is the ticket. If you go with the 45, the P97 is the better choice "IMO". Both great guns, so there's no wrong choice, just a caliber decision. Welcome aboard.

Great advice BobCA. I also have the P97 and I LOVE it. I never thought a Ruger could shoot as well as a Sig. The P97 changed my view! My P97 actually shoots BETTER than my Sigs!

rontrees...

hello sir... i have a p-90... a p-97... and a p94... they are all good reliable firearms... the p-97 is my primary "carry" firearm... and i use the p-90 for hunting... i rarely use the p94... of the models you mention... i would go with the p-90... great pistol and a good value... the .45 and it's variants (45 super/450 smc... 400 corbon... .40 super...) gives you a lot of options that you do not have with the other calibers... i am in the process of converting my p-90 to .40 super... the result will be that i have a pistol which will shoot big fat subsonic rounds in the .45 acp configuration... and will send a 135gr .40 slug out at around 1800fps... in the .40 super mode... a lot of versatility... change the barrel and springs... and you are ready to rock-n-roll... all from a modestly priced american made firearm... very cool...

best of luck...

regards... v.

Back