Ruger P85

larry408

I just bought a used Ruger P85 in like-new condition at a local show. What do the people on this forum think of this pistal and what do I need to watch out for? Thanks for any replys.

I think the P-85 was their first real caliber handgun. I was thinking they made an "Mk-II" version to fix some safety bug; you may want to look into that. I could be thinking of an entirely different pistol though.

I have a P-95 and I feel that Ruger makes the best stuff out there... esp for the money.

Enjoy,
Ben

The Firing Pin & safety were redesigned

The firing pin and safety was redesigned in the Mark II version of the P85. It should be stamped Mark II on the safety and if not, give Ruger a call. They'll happily retrofit your P85 for free.

Why have it done? Under certain conditions, the old one allowed for unintentional discharge. The newer one avoids this altogether.

When I sent mine in, I knew which parts were to be replaced so I removed the firing pin and the safety myself. Nice to have some old parts just for show & tell (& comparison).

Yes, there were some designs changes on it and a recall to fix a problem with the safety. As I remember, there was an AD with one when the user deployed the slide safety to decock the pistol. You may want to call Ruger and ask them if your pistol has its updated parts. They will probably fix it for a nominal charge. The changes incorporated into the pistol became the model P89, which is still in production. Good luck with your purchase.

I've had one for about 5 years now, and IMO it is a good value. About 5K rounds through it, and has always gone bang. Since replacing the stock plastic grips with Hogue wraparounds, it shoots where I want it to shoot. Big plus - got the pre-ban mags! :D

Downside - it is a big chunk of iron, and does have a hellacious DA trigger pull, but after that, SA is pretty smooth.

I felt it was reliable enough to carry this piece every day for a couple of years. I've since moved on to other higher priced sidearms, but I can't see parting with this one. FWIW

Back