Ruger P85 vs P-95, What's the difference?

The P-95 is a much-improved weapon. It uses the P-85 magazines, but has an improved barrel-locking system, a more ergonomic grip, and a lighter, smoother trigger.

Generally speaking, the P-95 is one of the best kept secrets in handguning, today, along withe CZ-75B.

If you have the choice of a P-95 and a P-85, and the prices are anywhere close, pick the P-95.

P85 MKII

Ragin Cajun, if it is a P85 MKII it should be the equal of the P95. It might be a little larger but a fine weapon at a bargain price. I have never had a jam in my P85 MKII in about 9 years. Regards, Richard

The most noticable difference is the P95 is a polymer framed pistol.;) The guts are still very simular with a few improvements made. The P95 is far better IMHO. :)

To add on to denfoote's post, the polymer frame makes the P95 MUCH easier to carry over a period of time (less weight)...something you may want to consider if you are going to CCW.

[Edited by Laxidasical on 12-12-2000 at 09:13 PM]

Two handgun generations of improvements. There is very little similar other than the name. The P85 itself even went thru several mods for problems. If you decide to buy one I would do serial number research to ensure that you are getting a post improvement or later made model P85. Do a search here as I remember some interesting info.Also contact Ruger for more info.

Two big differences:

1. Polymer frame on the P95 versus alloy on the P85.

2. Locking mechanism on the barrel is different. The P85/89 use a swinging link, the P95 uses a lug system.

Other differences:

1. P95 is decock-only or DAO

2. P95 is slightly shorter and much lighter

3. Revised trigger mechanism

IF I did not allready have a P89, I would happily add a P95 to my stable of handguns.

Back