Ruger P-series Pistols

imq707s

Would someone please explain to me what the differences are between all of Rugers P-series pistols. There is a P97,P89,P90,P93,P94, and P95. I went to there web site but it doesn't offer much info. Does anyone know of a website that has more info on each of these pistols, and maybe some reviews. What do those that own a P-seris Ruger think about them? Thanks.

The P97 and P90 are both .45s, P97 has a polymer frame and P90 is aluminum alloy.

P89, P93, P94, P95 are all 9mms. The P95 is a polymer frame version of the alloy framed P93, the P94 is alloy framed and just slightly longer than the P93. The alloy framed P89 is the longest and has a different grip and slide shape than the others. All use the same magazine.

Take a look at www.ruger-firearms.com

I own a P95DC, polymer framed 9mm decocker model. Great value for the money, reliable and accurate. My only complaint is that the grip is too slippery, and my groups improved greatly with the addition of a $10 grip sleeve.

Standard models have ambidextrous slide mounted lever to decock the hammer and apply a manual safety. DC models ONLY decock the hammer - no manual safety involved.

I'm waiting for my waiting-period to expire so I can go pick up my new KP95DAO -- polymer frame, stainless slide, Double Action Only, 9mm. Another positive aspect for me is that it's an American made gun from an American company.

Here's a great informative article on the P97 but it also covers the whole P-Series line along with some history:
http://www.gunsmagazine.com/Pages/1200ftr.html

HTH

By model numbers, you can follow the development of the Ruger Semiautomatic pistol. As the model numbers climb successively higher, there tends to be some engineering changes which improve upon the preceding model.

The earliest was the Ruger P85, which was developed for competition against the Beretta 92. A big, ungainy pistol, problems were found with its safety which required reengineering and a Mark II subvarient was developed (with older pistols being factory refitted). Subtle changes to the internal design led to the P89 model.

A 45 ACP version, the P91, was soon introduced, but no novel changes were made. However, about this time, a proprietary stainless was developed and Bill Ruger was so impressed that he permitted the metallurgist/engineer's name be marked on the gun (Terhune).

The P93 marked the first major change in the P series pistols. Complaints that the earlier versions were too big and bulky led to the streamlining of parts. A LE armorer, who happened to be female, walked into Bill Ruger's office and proceeded to lambast him about his pistol. He sat in silence and listened to her while the Armorer instructors trembled in silence outside ("Hw did we let her slip into Mr. Ruger's office and will we be called on the carpet for it?"). To streamline it, some parts were made multifunctional and others deleted.

The 94 continued in the evolution process and simplicity was furthered without compromising safety or reliability. Finally, the polymer linkless P95 (in 9mm) and P97 (in 45) were introduced. The P97 was not just a polymer version of the P91. Additional rails were added to the slide to ensure greater accuracy and durability. The frame was also simplified and has fewer parts than the older gun. Another major feature of the P97 was the discarding of the locking link design for a linkless lockup which worked with the guide rod.

If you can't do a side by side comparison of these guns, the next best way is to gather the parts diagrams and compare those. From those, you can see how fewer parts were used, the design simplified and streamlined.

4V50 Gary, where did you get all that great information about the Ruger P-Series line? Is there a website you can point me to that has all that nice info?
Thanks!

Which one is the most rugged?

That brings me to this question, Which one is the most rugged? It is easy to read specs on weight, build etc. but which one will hold up best to long term usage, lots of practice rounds?
I have about 1000 rounds through my P89, and except for some galling on the top of the rear flat part of the barrel, it seems to be fine.
Lance

Back