Ruger P-90 or P-97??

JL Hunnicutt

Which one of these is the more accurate? Which frame would provide the best longevity, polymer or aluminum? I know both are equally reliable. Thanks for your time.

That is hard to answer, I used to have the P90 and liked it a lot(wish I had never sold it) I now have the P97 and also like it a lot. I think the polymer frame of the Ruger, although different than that of most makers, will last a life time.

My P90 was pretty accurate, but I believe I'd have to give the nod to the P97 as it is just a tad more accurate for me. I believe the decision just comes down to what you like the most and how you're going to use the gun.

The P-97 is an improvement/refinement of the P-90, with an improved barrel/lockup design.

The older P-90s were not known for their accuracy, but were highly regarded for their durability and ability to feed ANY ammo. The P-97 is more accurate, just as reliable, and maintains the Ruger tradition of feeding anything of the right caliber.

Nice gun, and a great place to start if you don't already have a .45.

mr. hunnicutt

good evening..

i have both the p90 and p97... i carry the 97 daily and use the p90 mostly for hunting...(i am in the process of converting it to a .40 super) the 97 is lighter... and smaller... and more suited to carry... both are rock solid and accurate... (i would give a slight edge to the p97) the frames on both pistols are likely to last thousands of rounds... and if you have a problem during normal use... ruger will make good on it... if i had to choose one... i would take the p90... it can be used as a cc firearm... and there are a lot more accessories for the 90... both are great values... and will serve their owners well... i.m.h.o. you can't lose with either...

best of luck...

regards... v

the polymer frame should be at least as strong as the alloy due to its ability to flex in recoil and return to shape. this also makes it easier to shoot.

the big advantage of the 97, at least for me, is that it feels better in my hand.

i grew up with the 1911 and currently carry a sig 220, i'm thinking about getting a 97 after shooting a buddy's awhile back. i just have to get over :barf: the rear of the barrel hood sticking up above the slide. :confused:

does anyone know the effect, on function, of shaving this area flush with the top of the slide.

I have the P97, and have shot both guns on many occasions. I like the P90....it is a durable workhorse. I LOVE the P97....it is simply the best P-Series made so far.

The P97 is more accurate. Additionally, it is far more refined than the P90. Ergonomics are excellent on the P97. The P90 feels like a "brick" with a trigger. The 97 also has a better magazine release, better barrel lock up, and slide serations to help retract the slide. There is no comparison IMO, the P90 is a mediocre overall pistol.....the P97 is a great pistol.

Greeting's JL and Other's:

I recently shot next to a co-worker who was shooting the P-97, and it was really amazing how accurate these weapons
are.:) Maybe, the best bargain on the 'ole block?:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Like the others have said, you can't go wrong with either choice. Hopefully you can handle both & then decide for yourself. I love my P97. I've owned the P90 years ago and it was a good gun, but the P97 "IMO" is close to perfect.

Back