Ruger or S&W

HiCap

Hey everybody, I am planning to buy a stainless .44 mag DA revolver for hunting deer and general plinking but I want it to be a fast handling well balanced piece for some action type shooting I like to do if needed. I'd like the shortest barrel practical, 5 to 6 inches seems ideal to me. My first desires are for a Ruger Redhawk because of Ruger's super customer service and quality product and S&W because of reputation. Either would likely work great but I would like some opinions from those who have experience with the Ruger Redhawk and\or the S&W 629. How do they handle? How's the triggers? Would you recommend one over the other? Anything else I should know or be concerned about? Thanks in advance.

629 anyday. S&W is hands down the winner between the two. You will never go wrong with a S&W wheelgun, barring manuf. defects.

For triggers, between the two you won't beat S&W. It is easily honed out and can be slick. I'm very happy with mine. Rugers can be honed, but the transition won't be as smooth.

For durability and neglect, nothing beats a Ruger.

I should tell you that I bought my S&W long before Ruger developed the Redhawk or SuperRedhawk. If I was serious about a gun that would be low maintenance, it would be Ruger.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I'm of the opinion, never seen a N frame I didn't like. With that said, you said one key sentence in your inquiry.

"I want it to be a fast handling well balanced piece for some action type shooting I like to do if needed."

Everyone has a different take on what is a fast handling and balanced firearm. For me, it is Smith & Wesson, for others it may be Ruger. You have go to the store, put them guns in your hand and only you can make that decision, what feels good to you. We are all going to tell you about the same basic thing, Smith & Wesson has a better action, Ruger has a stronger frame. If you are going to shoot factory ammunition, both gun will do fine. If you are going to handload and push the limits of a 44 Magnum loads on bigger and meaner game, the Ruger is your best choice.

Good luck

Robert

Normally you'll find a better trigger on a Smith, but not always.

When I got my new (ordered) 44 Redhawk I did a 'blind' trigger test at the gunshop. We laid out ten large-framed revolvers (S&W, Colt, Ruger, and Taurus) and let a dozen or so customers and employees do a blindfolded trigger test.
The gun chosen, unanimously, was my new Redhawk (stainless, yet!).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Forget about the Smith!! Buy the stainless Ruger Redhawk. For quality,price,and accuracy, the Redhawk CANNOT be beat!!!!

When I bought my 629 I looked also at the Redhawk. If I remember correctly I could have had the Redhawk plus a scope mounted on it for less then what I paid for the Smith.
Of course I chose the Smith because the narrow grip of the Redhawk did not fit my hand properly and it didn't feel right, The Smith did. So you have to buy what works for you. They are both good guns. I own both in different models and calbers
Good luck on your purchase and Happy Shooting

------------------
gun control is people control

Back