Ruger old model Blackhawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Made a purchase yesterday of a Ruger old model (3 screw) Blackhawk 41 mag in LN condition for $300. Several questions I have: Was this a good price? The Ruger has never had the safety mod completed of the trigger transfer bar installed. I hate to have this done as the trigger is excellent as is. Is there any other concerns other than not keeping a loaded cyl under the trigger? Are there any other recalls or mods that need to be done to the guns? And lastly please give your impressions of the old vs new models performance. Thanks.

Tom,

Congratulations. You have purchased what may be the best general-purpose single action ever built. In fact, I am looking for one myself. What barrel length is yours? As for the price, fret not; you didn't get a good price, you got a GREAT one!

The transfer bar modification was invented by Ruger to keep the lawyers off their back. Plain and simple. In my opinion, it is a great way to screw up a perfectly good sixgun. I have had a few Ruger Old Models with this mod, and have sold all of them off in disgust.

As for New Model -vs- Old Model, I will answer that by making a simple statement. I have owned one New Model Blackhawk. I have owned EIGHTEEN Old Model Blackhawks, and am always on the lookout for another (without the transfer bar modification).

Good luck. You have yourself a fine piece of machinery. Carry it and shoot it with pride.

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

Mossyrock-Barrel length is 4 5/8 in. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I ordered some 41mag ammo from GA Arms yesterday. I will let you know how it shoots. Thanks for your comments.

Tom B,

Not that you appear interested, but Ruger will install the new parts in your gun (and I believe return the old parts back to you so that you can preserve collector value) if you ship it to them and request it.

As I say, You don't appear interested, so, if not, load one, skip one, load four, full cock and lower hammer, in case you didn't know. That puts the hammer on an empty chamber. If you already knew all this, I didn't say nuthin'.

Congrats on your new gun.

Datapoint; last week I bought a 4 5/8 357 3 screw Blackhawk (not a flat top) for $249. I would guess it to be in 80% condition, with grip frame anodizing getting thin and blue wear on the end of the ejector rod, muzzle and front sight. The shop I bought it from had a new model in better condition for the same money. I "kicked it to the curb" as they say and went for the 3 screw.

I would've gladly paid more for one in like new condition, so I'd guess you got a good deal. I thought about waiting to find a nicer one, but haven't seen any 3 screw guns in a long time. I've wanted one since they were new (new models came out in '73!).

These are safe guns as long as you keep an empty chamber under the hammer. "Load one, skip one, load 4".

Congratulations and good luck.

- Turbo

TomB: I have a 1967-era .41 OM Ruger, 4-5/8" like yours...about 99% with the box and papers, and I would laugh if someone offered me $300 for it. You did well. The 4-5/8"OM .41 is about the best, most shootable minimum-size magnum I know of. Don't worry about the safety issue, just carry 'five beans in the wheel' as other posters have mentioned. I don't plan on sending mine in for the 'safety' modification any time soon. It doesn't affect the value one way or the other, and is reversible, though, if you choose to have it done. Ruger does it free; you should contact them first for authorization. Congratulations on a great find. You DO reload, don't you? slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

slabsides- I don't reload. Is 41 mag ammo getting hard to find? Also does Ruger still make the 41mag in the new model blackhawk? Last catalog I saw didn't have it listed. Thanks.

Congratulations on your purchase. Word of caution if carrying it loaded: leave the hammer resting on an empty cylinder. Ruger will refit your Blackhawk with a hammer block safety and return your original parts to you for free (it's a liability thing which makes them want to do it).

There is one catch to it though: your nice smooth action won't be nice and smooth anymore. It'll take some gunsmithing to smoothen it out, but it won't be the same. This really isn't a big fuss as the frame is modified and you can always drop in the original parts.
------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited September 26, 1999).]

Tom. You got a fantastic deal. About a year ago, I found a OM Super B for $250. The reason it was so cheap, is somebody had it Magnaported. I didn't care, I got it for a shooter. :)
About 25 years ago, a good friend was moving to Germany, and could not take his guns with him. Not laws, his anti-gun German wife. :( If it was me, there'd been a divorce, real fast like. He gave me two, and sold the rest. :) The ones he gave me were OM Rugers, a .44 mag. flattop and a .45 LC/.45ACP. He also gave me 500 rounds of .45ACP brass and 300 rounds .45 LC brass to go with it. :) :) :)
Unfortunately, he passed away a couple of years ago. One does not have many friends such as he. :( :( :(
I have several New Model Rugers. I know a guy who can tune one up slicker'n snot on a doorknob. I'm not kidding. He makes a bad gun almost great. I've shot a few. I'm trying to get him to do mine, but so far no go. He only does it for a few friends. :( I may have to get him to do it in a roundabout way. :)
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited September 26, 1999).]

TomB: I didn't know that the .41 Blackhawk was no longer catalogued, but it wouldn't surprise me. The other .41 Ruger I have is a recent (two years old) Bisley, and I have been told that they aren't available any more; neither are the .41 Redhawks (although my shooting pard, another .41 fan, just bought a NIB Stainless Redhawk 5-1/2" to carry while bear guiding...they are still in the pipeline, for those who are willing to look around a bit.)
Re: ammo: Sure there will be .41 Magnum factory stuff available for the foreseeable future...too many guns out there to discontinue the caliber. But not much variety in bullet weight or design. You are pretty much stuck for factory stuff with 170 and 210 grain jacketed HP bullets. Where the .41 Mag. shines, however, is with cast bullets of 210, 220 and 240 grains, and those you must load yourself with slugs you cast or buy from one of the good suppliers like Bull-X, National or Magnus. One of the best-shooting .410 bullets we have found is cast from an old .401 Win. Rifle mold, Lyman #410426, 240 grains, sized with a flat top-punch to give a .250" meplat. Punches a big black bear's ticket in a manner indistiguishable from a .44 Mag. or .45 Colt Hottie. We have shot deer and bear with .41 Mag. cast bullets as well as Sierra JHP's, and the cast do a great job at minimum cost. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Another nice plus on the old model-- when loading, you turn the cylinder until it "clicks". It is then indexed corectly to load one. In the new models, when it "clicks," you now know that you've gone too far (no help!). Thus, you can load an old model faster, and without looking. (Or in the dark, for instance.) If you are a hunter, they are ideal.

$300 was a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back