ruger oa conical loads

dr1445

I was by cabelas the other day and saw a roa lee 456-220-1r mold for $20. I just started casting with round ball molds and decided to try conical bullets. I have about 150 cast up, ready for the range next week. I have t7 fffg, pyrodex P powder, sorry black is not available in this local, and lubed felt wads. I have no interest in light loads for these, I have rb for that. What would be the max load for t7 fffg and pyrodex P for the 220 grain conical? I do plan to knock back the max load by 15% as a starting load and increase from there.

In the ROA, the upper limit would be determined by the amount that will let you completely seat the bullet without having the nose of the bullet stick out, preventing the cylinder from turning.
That most likely will be around 30-35 grains, depending on just how long those bullets are.

I have used 220 grain TC Maxi Balls in my ROA and with that bullet, 30 grains is the limit if I want to seat the bullet deep enough to allow the cylinder to turn. These bullets have two really big grease grooves which make them rather long for a 220 grain bullet though. You may be able to fit more powder behind a revolver specific bullet.

As for the ROA taking the pressure, I have shot 40 grains of Goex FFFFg in mine behind a round ball. It makes other shooters at the range stop and give the "what the hell was that!!" stare. It's a strong pistol.

i read some stuff on the internet stating 45 gr [ t7?] with the cyl turning, 50 as a single shot. i thought that sounded a bit optimistic. 35 t7 and a felt wad was no problem with rb in my roa, can't recall trying 40. should be fun to try the conicals in my thompson center black diamond and omega inline also. i just need to find more range time.

Triple 7 and Pyrodex both compress more than BP. I can easily get 45 grns of 3F T7 behind a ball, but only 40 grns of Olde Eynsford.

I use custom bullets in my pistols, and my 195 grn WFN is only .460" long. It's more accurate useful load is 35 grns of either powder, but I've only worked in 5 grn increments as I'm using a rifle powder measure marked in 10 grn increments.

Judging by chronograph results I've seen with similar powder I estimate the energy to be over 475 ft/lbs as a Lee conical (220 grn) loaded in a Ruger using 3F T7 with 15% powder reduction and mild compression gave it about 475 ft/lbs. The charge was 30 grns, which would be the starting load, though Hodgdon's does not state mild compression is necessary in anything BUT cartridges.

I prefer a WFN (Keith-like) profile to a RN for hunting.

I've had Accurate Molds create me another bullet design between it and the 285 grn version that weighs 245 grns. I've yet to order it though. I also have a very short 170 grn version that is only .400" long. It does equally well with the same powder charge.

Here's part 6 of Mike Beliveau's testing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_dwo2nThA

i fired 35 grains pyrodex p with the felt wad + the lee 456-220-1r conical. at 35 grains under heavy compression, i would say that's about max to fit my roa. i think 35 grains of t7 3f would be over max, 30 sounds about right, i might get to give it a go later this week.

Back