Ruger No1 7mm rem mag

TheBear

A friend of mine offered me a ruger no 1 in 7mm rem mag for 600$ Very good condition and has not more then 500 shots through.
I like single shot rifles but im not sure if 7mm rem mag is a good caliber for them.

what do you guys think?

I like the look and feel of the #1 series of rifles but, I've heard some are terribly inaccurate, ask if you can take it out for a test shoot to determine accuracy and how the gun feels when you shoot it. Also, a 7 Mag can show signs of throat erosion after 500 rounds especially if the current owner is loading his own and going hot, beautiful rifles though.

@T. O'Heir
I dont know how long the barrel is, ive only seen the rifle once but i remember that it had a pretty long barrrel

@USMC 77-81
Also, a 7 Mag can show signs of throat erosion after 500 rounds especially if the current owner is loading his own and going hot
well thats what worries me, i mean, i know the guy, he doesnt load his own, never has and never will but i do. And even though i like the idea of a 165gr 7mm bullet going at 3000ft/sec, i dont like the idea of a barrel thats worn out after 1000 shots.

i shot a lot of 160gr bullets at 2900 fps and my barrel is not worn out, i think the key is not to pound 20-30 hot reloaded rounds one after the other, that will erode most rifle barrels. rifles were model 70-model 700. eastbank.

I have a No.1 in 7 Mag, love it. Shoot's 3/4" groups with my handloads. 26" Barrel. Buy it, recoil is tame since the rifle weighs a good bit.

Eastbank is correct, don't shoot one after another even if your shoulder is up to it, let the chamber and barrel cool between shots. As for recoil, my Remington 700 is harsh off of a rest which causes me to take the full force in a straight line rear motion. I like to sit on my archery target, it allows a rocking motion which minimizes shoulder impact. On a related note, my wife shot my 7 Mag one time from a sitting position, rolled her over like a bowling ball but she likes to lean back so it doesn't hurt as much (yea, I know), she is improving with practice though.

I have a 1b in 338wm. It can be capricious with regard to accuracy, but good loads can be found if you have the patience. A bargain at $600.00 I'd say.

Well, it's either a #1B or #1S depending on the forearm. Barrel in either rifle would be 26" unless cut shorter by the owner or rebarreled with something longer, an idea I've toyed with on one of my #1's in .300 Win. Mag. At $600 I'd be all over that like stink on a skunk. Now that Ruger is only making limited edition runs of #1 rifles, prices on the ones out in the field are going up quite a bit.
Paul B.

Like someone else said. Buy it. That's half what they were asking for at the Tulsa gunshow Wanamaker or however you say that. We sold a liberty model NIB for $900 prolly could/should have got a slight bit more.

I like the Ruger#1 falling block rifles, classy, but not a target rifle.

IMO $600 is not a bad price, but but you need to be aware that 500 rounds through a 7mag could be half of the barrel life. I read where barrel replacement is simple and available and the action will accommodate almost any cartridge you can think of.

I would like one of them myself.

500 rounds through a 7mag half the life?
Handlerer, where'd that bologny come from dude? I couldnt look a man in the face and tell him that....thats a load.....

You're getting a 33% or better discount on a fine rifle. Buy it tomorrow.

The No. 1 is not a machine gun. You cannot burn out a barrel in 500 rounds. Maybe 5,000, but not 500.

Well, Hooligan. I got this data from experience. In 1975 I bought a new MDL 700, 7mag.. I had no real complaints, except after about a year the groups opened up from 1.5"- 2.5".

I had read about 7mag rifles deteriorating to 270 levels of performance, in the Speer manual, after as few as 750 rounds, this was when I started reloading for it.

Reloading data has changed quite a bit since '75. I loaded hot and shot alot and my barrel didn't last two years. Loading data has been reduced in the last 38 years.

I don't have any trouble sharing this because it's true. If you have a problem about barrel life in overbore magnums, there's a river in Africa, you know Denile.

Handler, did you have the rifle measured for erosion? How many rounds did you shoot in about a year? Could have been your loads way hot.,,.cant sterotype a cartridge because of your accounting.....
And i think that stinkin river is in Egypt....

Yer, right Hooligan, I was loading real hot and shooting much to test my smoking reloads. My uncle was a gunsmith and scoped the bore for me. I heard the lecture about case capacity and overbore. Anything hotter than an '06 was overkill in this hemisphere.

Last time I checked Egypt was still in Africa.

Gee guys, I wish someone would offer me a Ruger #1 7mm Mag with a barrel shot out to a smooth bore for $600!!! Enough already...

...bug :)

Back