Ruger No 1 V. No 3

Anyone like to comment as to accuracy between the two models? Looking at buying a single shot 45-70 as part of possibly ditching my Encore, and these seem to be the most attractive to me What about action strength? Weight? No. 3 seems to to be slightly more available at the "used but not abused" level I am searching in, but I don't know all that much about them.

If you're looking as serious hunting thumper loads, the #3 will flat out kick the slats out from under you. If you can find one, the #1S isn't too bad in the recoil department. Probably should put a good refill pad on it though should you want to do the full bore stomping loads. Frankly, I've never even heard of a #1V in the Ruger #1 rifles. I've owned two #3 Rugers in .45-70 and loaded an shot bullets from 300 to 510 gr. from all three rifles. The #3s are all long gone but I still have the #1S. A 500 gr. cast bullet loaded to 1500 FPS in the #3 will definitely get your attention. Still quite noticeable in the #1S with the skimpy pad that came on mine. I seriously think you's be a lot happier with the heavier of the two guns, especially if you want to play with the stouter loadings. JMHO.
Paul B.

I've owned both over the years, and was never happy with the accuracy of either. Accuracy aside, both are on the light side for full 45/70 loads. A 500 grainer out of the #3 will loosen the fillings in your teeth.
The #1 is sure a pretty rifle though.

Put a good recoil pad on it, that helps tame the .45-70 load. The No. 3 is lighter in weight than the No. 1, just a few ounces of stock wood, so recoil is more pronounced.

The cartridge is not a tack driver. The rifle will shoot better than most folks.

I have a No. 1 in 375 Ruger and it's a tack-driver... like that from new.

No. 1 accuracy problems are usually associated with the forearm hanger, or people over-tightening the hanger screw. Lots of info on the subject - google it.

My #1 in .45-70 is also an accurate #1 (about as accurate as one could expect a .45-70 to be!).

Working from memory, didn't the #3 lack a pistol grip on the butt stock end?

The No.3 is a few ounces ligher, according to the books, but it FEELS much lighter than the No.1.

The No.3 has a straight grip stock, and the finger lever forms the "pistol grip". Also has a barrel band (why I don't know, other than cosmetic). Also came with a steel buttplate.

I have a good ventilated recoil pad on my ,45-70, and with the "standard" 400gr slugs at black powder speeds, the recoil is not bad. Also will put three shots in two holes at 50yds with a 2.5x post scope. so, about 2 moa with that load. I have shot 350gr Hornady @ 2200fps, and let me tell you THAT is recoil.

Also have No.3s in .22 Hornet and .30-40 Krag. Great little rifles, I actually prefer them to the No.1 except for (a) being out of production, and (b) limited caliber choice (see (a) ).

Consider them stalking rifles, short, light, handy, and quite accurate enough for game shooting. Not a bench gun, NOT a REPEATER, so group size is kind of ..why? :D

I have sold off my Marlin, and my Siamese Mauser .45-70, but have kept the sweet little Ruger. Another reason I like the No.3 is they were made back during the era when gun owners were still trusted to adjust their own triggers. The No.3 has a couple of allen screws, and if it doesn't have one when you get it, its only a few minutes work to give it a sweet crisp trigger pull.

Thanks for the #3 description. It was in the very early 80's that I got my #1 in .45-70. I actually wanted a #3, but there were none to be had. I wanted the #3 for the exact description you gave-lightweight stalking rife. I had planned on peep sights and working up cast bullet loads & then on to fun chasing whitetails!

Unfortunately the #1 was too pretty to drill the receiver, let alone drag through the brush. So I turned a Model 94 .30-30 into my stalking, cast bullet, peep-sighted gun. The good old days of having time on your hands and the energy to run up and down the sides of hills.

if you have a ruger #3 try 50grs H-4198 with a 300gr hornady or 300gr serria, it does kick and i sight it in on a lead sled and it will put three into one inch at 100yds with a 3x leupold scope. i have shot quite a few deer with that load, i try to double lung shoot deer no matter what rifle i,m useing. eastbank.

No3

The barrel band on the carbine cause Bill R. wanted it that way I'm sure. Actually, I'm not sure if it serves any function, it well may, but much was done at "old Ruger" 'cause the old man said so.

"Old Ruger" had a knack for knowing what shooters liked, and wanted. The band on the carbine likely was an attempt to link the carbine to the cavalry carbines of the past, which had barrel bands as well. So too the early .44 auto carbines, which harken images of the M1 carbine of US military ilk.

I'd think a No3 in 45-70 would kick like a mule. I'm hoping someday mine will be in .223!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about the No. 3, but my No. 1 V, chambered in .220 Swift, is the most accurate of all the many rifles I own when using factory ammunition.

With heavier loadings, it does. Just look at the #3's stock, and think of shooting a 10/22 in 45/70, and you'd be right on.

With something like a 300 grain lead bullet over 214 grains of Trail Boss, its a pussycat, and a lot of fun to shoot.

#1/#3

I've owned both 1 & 3 in 45/70. Shot both with 300gr JHPs and max charge of
IMR 3031. On bench you know it's there,but in hunting situation it's not that
bad. I live in Ohio, we have new limited rifle season, 45/70 is legal. I wish I
had 3 back. 45/70 are hard to come by around here. Would be perfect for Ohio
deer. Marlin 95 I have now kicks just as bad and not as neat to carry. Only 3
I have left is 223, my favorite sneak varment gun.

Back