Ruger No. 1 Scope Rings - Med or Low

ligonierbill

If you were mounting a Nikon Monarch African (1" tube) 1-4X on a No. 1 in a hard kicking caliber, which ring would you select? This scope should clear with either.

Whichever ring height allows you to align your eye with the ocular lens when your achieve your natural cheek weld.

Secure the rifle. Use modeling clay rolled into two balls about an inch and a half in diameter. Place the balls on top of your receiver where the scope mounts and then place the scope on top of the balls. Establish your natural cheek weld and then press down on the scope until your eye is aligned with the ocular lens. Remove the scope, carefully remove the balls of clay and measure them at the center of the depression.

That measurement will be the height from the bottom of the tube to the top of the receiver that you should have. The actual height of your rings/bases will depend on whether you choose one piece rings, basses and rings or a rail and rings.

I have gotten to the point where I no longer try to guess what low, medium, high, xtra high actually means. I now find the rings/bases that I want and then email or call and tell them the distance from the bottom of the scope tube to the top of the receiver. They tell me what I need to order and I do.

I use Talley rings/bases on my bolt guns and Seekins or Era-Tac on my AR's.

I find the medium height rings higher than desired for a nice cheek weld. With low rings the scope ocular Bell or power ring makes things more cramped for loading and unloading the rounds.

I like to use the lowest mounts that will clear the barrel and that will line up with my eye. The individual rifle has as much to do with that as the scope. I've never tried to use a Ruger #1, but looking at the stock shape would think low would work. That is where I'd start.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I will go with low rings. I have a No. 1 in 30-06 that I got out and tried the cheek weld, and that appears the way to go.

Make sure your scope has adequate eye relief if using a "hard kicking caliber". Don't end up with a nice scar over your eye or on the bridge of your nose. Set up the eye relief on the scope with your head in the position you'll be shooting the gun, not with your head straight up.

If needed, You can call Ruger and they'll send you extension rings for better eye relief on the No.1's. Just send them the other rings. [At least they used to.] And yes, low.

I like to use the lowest mounts that will clear the barrel and that will line up with my eye.

That's my formula for deciding on the best ring height too. I also like to have the lightest and most compact scope that is practical on any rifle intended for big game hunting, for "walking around/stalking" rifles for varmint hunting and for small game (squirrels, rabbits, etc.) hunting with .22 rimfire rifles. Bigger scopes are sometimes worth their weight and size when hunting varmints at longer ranges when shooting from stationary positions.

Ruger's lowest ring set worked fine when mounting a B&L "Elite 3000", 4x12 powered scope on my No.1 Varmint rifle.

Back