Ruger No. 1 any good?

jnewkirk

I'm looking for a deer/elk rifle that can be shot left-handed. I'd rather stay away from the left-handed bolt action rifles because no one else in my family could use them (that could be a good thing I guess) I'm considering the Ruger No.1 and would like some info on their track record. How accurate is the No. 1 compared to a bolt action? Any problems with these rifles?

John N.

Welcome to TFL jnewkirk. I've never owned one but have been told they are excellent with accuracy comparable to, if not better then, bolt actions. Maybe DC can comment, her father owns one too pretty to shoot.
wink.gif

Have you considered a lever action? Granted they lack the inherent accuracy of the bolt actions or single shots but do have the advantage of being a repeater. The older presafety models eliminate the difficulties associated with having to reach through the trigger gaurd to access a cross bolt safety. I'm totaly ambidexextrous and have no problem with the brass ejecting from a lever when shooting left handed.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Ruger #1 rifles are beautiful to look at, but can be somewhat frustrating at times. I have several, and if I could afford it, I'd have dozens more. I am willing to put up with their idiosyncrasies, because I love the challenge. I'll give you a few examples. I have a 7x57 1A. I had to send it back to the factory for a new barrel. The original barrel had an overlong throat. The 06 will do about 1 1/4 inch after the first shot which is 6 inches high. Go figure, I can't. That's a 1B. Another 1B in .300 Win. Mag does 3/8 inch with preferred reloads. The .375 H&H does about 2 inches, a 1A in .270 2 1/2 inches, the 45-70, 3 inches. All mine are early models. I believe the newer ones will do better. I don't know what standards for accuracy Ruger has for the #1's but the 7x57 will now do from 3/4 inch, to 1 1/4 inch depending on the load. With practice, you can shoot a #1 almost as fast as a bolt action. Just ask me if I love my #1"s. You bet I do.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

I second that emotion!

I have not had a finicky one but I've only owned two.

The first was a No.1B in .243 and it shot 1/2 MOA with Remington factory ammo. It had a AAA fancy walnut buttstock and was just too pretty to hunt with so I sold it for $100 more than I paid for it.

The second one is my No.1S in 7mm mag. I put a Leupold 3x9 on it and sighted it in a few weeks ago. It took 8 shots of Federal Premium to get it dead on at 200 yards. The last four shots were for group confirmation and were inside 2 inches. That was on a windy day with about about 1 MOA worth of heat mirage.

Being single shots, you have to think ahead when hunting with them. I suggest a buttstock shell carrier in elastic nylon or lace-up leather (or a belt carrier). Once you are in your hunting area, carry an extra round between your fingers, like if you were shooting while holding a cigarette. This allows a quick reload if you practice just a little. It worked for the old African safari hunters with their doubles!

Should you get one? Heck yes! It's a really classy piece and a good shooter.

Mikey

I own a Ruger #1 in 7x57. I'll never sell it, its the one that will be passed down to my kids.
#1's can be bizarre when it comes to accuracy. Its because the barrel can bind up with the hanger underneath the forearm as it warms. This one used to shoot two different 1" groups - 6 inches apart. A "cold" group and a "hot" group.
Mine was fixed by bedding around the hanger and drilling a tension screw through it that touches the barrel. You adjust the screw until it gives you good results then forget about it. This is a standard fix on #1's and any good gunsmith knows the technique - costs less than $100.
It not needed most of the time but if your rifle exhibits weird stringing or separate groups as it warms, this is the fix.
People tend to get hooked on #1's. They're much shorter and lighter than a bolt rifle of equal barrel length. They (usually) are extremely accurate, and have good triggers.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I only own one #1 presently, a first year of production family heirloom .222 Rem. that will shoot sub-half-inch with its old Redfield 3x9 'scope. However I have owned/shot a half dozen other Victorians, and my conclusion is: #1's are quirky. A .257 Roberts couldn't be made to shoot well with any load or stock fiddling. Sold it off. A 7mm Mauser International with a warped fore-end shot half inch two shot clusters, then threw the third shot out 3 or more inches. Stock work fixed that, and it wound up a dependable 1 1/2 inch grouper. A 6mm Varmint couldn't be made to group under or over 1 3/4 with any load or bullet weight. My hunting pal's .45/70 shoots lovely 3/4 inch clover leafs for three shots at 100 yards. Get the picture? Ruger #1's are beautiful guns, for guys who enjoy experimenting. They are hunting guns, expect hunting accuracy and you won't be disappointed. Vertical stringing calls for the screw in the fore-end hanger that another poster mentioned, but I wouldn't bother with it otherwise. The shoulder stock must be very tight, and fit the rear of the action perfectly. Get an Uncle Mike's butt cuff to carry extra rounds. Have fun, and good luck! slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Thanks for your responses. It sounds like a Ruger No.1 is in my future. Now, I've got to decide the 1-A with 22" barrel or 1-B with 26" barrel. Decisions, decisions....

John

Sorry I'm late.

Its a fine fine rifle, it was one of Dad's favorites. I don't use as it is too pretty and a bit too much for me, but if I had occassion to go for big game I would

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Don't overlook the No.1S

The 1B has a wide forearm with a little more wood on the barrel. The 1S forearm is slim and classy.

Mikey

Jnewkirk. The 1A's are reasonaly lightweight. The 1B's are definitely heavier. However get a 1H and there is a heavyweight. My suggestion is get the one that feels best to you. Make sure you have a scope installed when you try them out for feel, as they do affect the balance. Whichever way you go, you should love it.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

The No. 1 is an excellent rifle. They are very nicely made and look good. There is not a lot that can wrong with the falling block. The No. 1 action is very strong and i think it should be able to handle loads of higher pressure than in most manuals(loaded for the weakest actions). the only problem i know of with the No. 1 is the top tang safety can come off if you have the rifle slung over your shoulder, but when you bring it up for a shot its handier than any other rifle safety i've used.

Headroom. I think you might have a problem with your #1, if the safety comes off that easily. None of mine do this. I strongly suspect the spring tension make be wak.
Paul B.

paul,
the thing with the safety has happened a few times, always from having the rifle slung, usually from it hitting a backpack or fannypack, safeties are fine and usually when i would carry one of them like that because i'd have to climb the side of a butte with both hands the rifle would be unloaded anyways. one advantage over the M700, the action stays shut unlike remington which needs a safety that locks the bolt in place.

[This message has been edited by headroom (edited June 15, 1999).]

Headroom. Have you tried a muzzle down carry? You know, with the butt up in the air, and the muzzle pointed at the ground. I use this type of carry with all my shorter rifles. That might work for you.
Paul B.

There is a Browning single shot based on the old Winchester High Wall action. You should not overlook that. My friend had one in 25 '06 that would shoot dime-sized five shot groups at 100 yds.

------------------
Son of Liberty

Back