Ruger Model 77 MK I issue

A fellow had me look at his Ruger 77 MK I.

When he pressed the trigger, the firing pin remained in the rear. At first I thought there was a trigger issue, but upon removing the bolt and the action, I looked at it and saw that the trigger pivoted out of the way and allowed the sear to be pushed down by the cocking piece. After satisfying myself that the trigger and sear weren't the issue, I turned my attention to the bolt.

The bolt was partially disassembled and everything was fine. I reassembled it and studied it some more and reassembled the bolt and removed the paper clip (I couldn't find a nail) that held the cocking piece to the rear.

Then when I squeezed the trigger, the cocking piece and firing pin went forward (as it should have to begin with).

At the moment, I'm still not sure why it wasn't working. I'm wondering if the bolt was assembled incorrectly, thereby not allowing the cocking piece to surge forward. Thoughts?

There could have just been a grain of dirt, sand, etc in the bolt, and after disassembly it cleared it. If its working all right now, I would just clean it well, and tell them to try it out.

Back