Ruger Model 77 .22 LR

Cliff

I've been shopping around for a bolt action .22 - nothing fancy, just a good shooter.

I spent my lunch hour today browsing the used rifle section at one of the local gun shops. Spent some time fiddling with a Mossberg Model 44US, but thought the price was a tad high considering the condition.

I put the Mossie back and noticed a BEAUTIFUL little .22 on a different rack. Picked it up, the balance felt excellent and it snapped to my shoulder perfectly. The fit and finish also seemed extremely good.

The rifle was a Ruger Model 77 - price was $265.00. I would have bought it on the spot, but it didn't have iron sights. :(

Do any of you folks own or have shot this rifle? If so, does it shoot as good as it looks and feels? I own other Rugers, so durability is not in question. :)

Thanks.

Cliff

I've got a friend with one of these. It is finicky on function with certain types of ammo, and he had some other minor problems too (he bought it used). But it shoots and has a decent trigger on it, as well as taking the ubiquitous 10/22 mags.

The Ruger 77/22 is a dandy little rifle. It is reasonably accurate for the price. This rifle is available with iron sights. Also the magazines for the 10/22 will also function in the 77/22 but the flat bottom of the 77/22 stock makes the taller 10/22 magazines stick out a tad.

I have shot my brother's 77/22 quite a few times. Great rifle, loads of fun to shoot. I am quite a bit more accurate with his 77/22 than with my 10/22, but he does have a scope attached, and I just have open sights on mine. His is stainless with the synthetic stock, and the mags that came with his are identical to the mags for my 10/22 and don't stick out below the stock.

Back