Ruger MKII rifles any good?

I've been using Ruger Rifles for over 25 years. My first was a pre-warning M77 in .270 but there have been several. I've had two No.1's - still have a 7mm - and I've had M77's of almost every variation. The only one that wouldn't shoot 1 MOA or better (most were better!) was a M77 RSI (full length stock) in .243 - It would hold 1.5 MOA.

I bought the first one because I got all the Remington BDL features, and more, for the price of an ADL. I bought the rest, including the little M77 MKII in .243 that I currently have, because the are just real good rifles. Best fitting stock I've ever felt on a production gun and ACCURATE. I love 'em!

Mikey

The non-adjustable trigger on the Mk II is horrible. After replacing it with a Timney, all's well with mine in .223; 1/2" groups with unknown-stray ammo...

Art

Art's right on on this one. The trigger needs replacing, but other than that, It's just about perfect. (Especially the 'Sporter' version in SS and laminate stock, complete with SS, not alloy , floorplate.)

ruger triggers are crap and there receivers are cast.i would ompt for a remington or a winchester.the only reason rugers sell is they are about 50 buck cheaper that the rest.

gunmart, I prefer forgings to castings--although Rugers don't blow up. I note that a lot of cast crankshafts turn some serious rpm, too. Like anything, if it's done right...And they shoot pretty doggoned good, which is what counts.

:), Art

I have a M77 MKII Magnum in .375 H&H and really love it.

I am not a gunsmith, so cannot appreciate the finer points and relative merits of casting vs forging etc.

I am a shooter and a marketing guy, and I can tell you that:

1) My ruger shoots pretty doggone good, points well and looks real nice;

2) Ruger has pretty much kicked the whole industry in the pants in 1999 with their M77 sales.......

Must be doing something good..... :)

Have to agree with 416Rigby's comments. I have looked hard at Rugers, Winchesters, Remingtons, Savages, and Brownings over the last six months. What sold me on the Ruger M77 was the handsome Walnut stock (not too flashy... not too plain... just right), the Mauser action, the Ruger reputation for ruggedness, and the feel of the rifle. Fits me great. Oh, they were also less expensive than all but Savage. Also nice that they come with the scope rings. It is a plus that they offer some chamberings that most other manufacturers don't. I like a nice looking, nice handling rifle, and to be honest, I don't think I could shoot a "super accurate" rifle to its potential anyway. If I can put three rounds into 2 inches at a hundred yards I am a happy camper. Not to say that Rugers aren't accurate, but that I won't spend a lot of money trying to make it super accurate. Deer in the freezer is accurate enough for me.

Back