Ruger MkII problems

Casey

Hello all.

I am shooting in a bullseye league, using a MKII. I have had a series of problems while shooting that I don't know how to fix.

First has been a fairly consistant problem of "stovepipe" jams, with the empty case laying across the case trying to get into the chamber. This is worse with some ammunition (Federal and PMC Scoremaster), and almost nonexistent with CCI Green Tag or Standard Velocity. I would assume that is due to the fact that the CCI's are slightly more powerful?

I also have a problem with the slide going forward and crushing the round going into the chamber. This happens almost exclusively with the CCI Standard Velocity rounds.

Recently, it has started not picking up the round in the top of the magazine. It will do this maybe once in two or three magazines. This also happens mainly with CCI's.

I have gotten several suggestions from the guys in the league. I personally think that since others have few problems with my gun (shoot five or six magazines with no problems) it must be the way I hold the grip when shooting.

Any suggestions?

Casey

Try more kinds of ammo. 22LR autos have been known to be pretty picky eaters. What works like a champ in one MKII might stink in another.

Have you cleaned your magazine? How about trying a different magazine. A lot of jambs in semi-autos are magazine related.

I'd strip it and do a through cleaning and lube, rotate the magazines to new ones, and see if that helps. The suggestion about the recoil spring replacement sounded on target too, since the target rounds didn't have as much problem.

same problem

I bought a new Mark II 4B a 4 inch bull blue barrel with wood target grips beautiful gun ......but jammed just like
other owners the only advice the gun store gave me was to clean thoroughly and lube lightly and try different standard and hi-vel
ammo not the sonic stuff. I'll let you know after I fire this week week. Some threads suggest cutting about 6 coils off the spring????? I'm not about to try that yet.

TY
GD

I had the same problem with CCI Standard Velocity in my MKII. It was brand new, first time at the range, and it started stovepiping live rounds. I was upset and loaded one round into the magazine and found when pulled to the bottom of the mag, it would slowly drag up. I took a Q-tip and cleaned the magazine and found it full of the lubricant that they put on the bullets. I dumped 300 rounds of jacketed rounds through it the rest of the day and had no problems. Since then I started shooting Thunderbolts and have never had that problem again. I also had a MKI that did the same thing and I sold it before I realized what was wrong.

If your Mk II is new, break it in with a few hundred hi- velocity rounds first, then do a thorough cleaning and lube, including the mag. Then try it again. Try different mags also. If the problem persists after about 500 rounds of HV, then send it back to Ruger. They stand behind their products and will make it right.

Pilot

Years ago, when I shot bullseye, I used a MK11 and found that it was critical to keep the inside of the magazines clean, especially the front where the bullet tips rubbed. There was always a buildup of lube there and eventually it would cause jams.

Sounds like your extractor needs a little tuning. Also,you may have burrs at the mout of the chamber. Both are easy to correct. Look at the chamber first.

For whatever reason,it seems like the Rugers like Winchester ammo the best. Might want to try some.

Good Luck

One of my gunsmiths, who worked for Ruger, told me that the Mark II and 22/45 models need fairly high powered rounds to cycle correctly. I found that Remington Golden Bullets from the 525 round bulk pack worked quite well for general shooting and I even shot them in a bullseye match once. CCI Blazers worked well too, but had a different POI so I didn't use them much. Good luck.

Once the MK-II is throughly broken it, they seem to shoot target rounds just fine. I have an old one that's got many thousands of rounds through it, I shoot Eley Tenex without any problem. OTOH, my new Anniversary model still only shoots HV ammo reliably.

I have a Mark II Competion target model (slabside) and use the Remington Thunderbolt ammo and have never had any problems except that it empties the magazines faster than I can load it!
Seriously if you clean the pistol and break it in with the cheap 22 high velocity ammo it should function fine, if not send it back to Ruger.

My first Ruger MKII was a Government model with 6 7/8"
barrel. No a single problem from the first shot, with any
ammo which is not a comlete junk. It did have a noticable
problem with heavily waxed bullets, like Russian Junior Brand (perfect for bolt action rifles, by the way) My second Ruger was MKII-4B, with 4 " barrel. It jammed approx. every tenth round with any ammo except CCI Stingers. I cut off 6 coils from recoil spring - it solved the problem. Recoil spring for 4" barrel should be a bit weaker than for a 6 7/8" barrel, but Ruger uses similar recoil springs in both models.

Back