Ruger MKII Government model

baj

Looking at the ruger web page, I'm confused about the bull barrel MKII models. The stainless 5 1/2 inch is $420, the 10 inch is $425, but the government model which looks just like the other two but with a 6 7/8" barrel lists for $485. Does anyone know what the difference is and does it justify the cost? Same question with the government competition model, but at least I can see that it has a different barrel and grip.

Which barrel length do you think is best for non-competitive target shooting? And does anybody know what the government model has to do with the government?

Thanks.

I bought the Competition model a few years ago and paid around $345 for it. I've shot the MKII with the Bull Barrel, Government and competition model. I like the Government and the Competion model real well. The only difference I could tell is the Competition has the slab side barrel and the target grips. My competition has been drilled and tapped for a scope and I can't remember if the government model is or not.

To be honest, I would go with the Competition model. Great trigger and a tack driver right out of the box.

Ruger supplied Uncle Sam with .22 pistols made to a certain specification and accuracy level. This model is marked with US govt. property stamps. Ruger decided to market the same gun to civilians and calls it the Government Model. For non-competitive bullseye use consider one of Rugers Target models, they are cheaper and lighter and nearly as accurate. I prefer longer barrels, that's me, I have the competition model, most prefer shorter barrels. I recommend Ruger semi-auto .22's highly.

The KM678, or whatever the 6 7/8" model is called, comes with wooden thumbrest grips and scope mount and rings. Check out their website.

Regards.

Get a "target" designated model whatever you choose-the adjustable sights are worth it.

For non-competitive paper punching, I recommend the KMK-512 model (5.5" bull barrel, adjustable sights). The bull barrel is slightly heavier than tapered models, but w/ a shorter 5.5" barrel, not too heavy, and more stable.

If you think you may hunt small game with it one day (many states require a 6"+ barrel), or compete, or just want it, I also highly recommend the competition model. This version has a slab side 6 7/8" barrel that is a little lighter handling than a full bull barrel, has a nice precision crown on the muzzle, and comes with scope rings, base, and wood grips with thumbrest. A very nice package deal.

The "Government" model is a 6 7/8" bull barrel target model, is slightly heavier than the competition model, and is laser targeted at the factory per the USG standards. I would pass on this model and go with the competition model instead for a 6 7/8" barrel. I find the government model a little too heavy in the muzzle.

Whichever variant you get, give a set of Hogue wrap around grips a try. They really finish off this fantastic shooter perfectly. I prefer them over even the checkered wood thumbrest grips that come stock on the competition model.

You will put thousands of rounds through this pistol. No matter which Mk-II you choose, you will not be disappointed.

Back