Ruger MKII FP retainer keeps falling out

plateshooter

I have a MKII Ruger that I shoot alot. Lately, the pin that holds the firing pin in the bolt became loose and just falls out whenever I remove the bolt. Anyone have a fix for this? The bolt and pin are quite hard, and moving a bit of metal with a punch isn't working. Thanks

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Stroke it on a magnet 25 times in one direction then stick it back in the bolt. Will that work? I have no idea.
icon5.gif

Mine was loose right from the factory. It doesn't hurt anything except it can fall out easily. Just make sure it's in there before you shoot the gun or the firing pin may ding the chamber.

Joefo

Thanks for the replies guys. I called Ruger today and they told me "they do that" so I guess it's no problem. Just never happened on the other 3 that I have. That magnet thing sounds interesting :-)

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

plateshooter - I was thinking about this when you posted it. I knew the pin was loose in my gun, but not that loose. It should be held in place by the small firing pin return spring. I checked mine and this is true. When I push forward slightly on the firing pin to remove the tension, the pin falls right out.

It may be that your spring has worn out a bit and lost tension. Or there may be an obstruction that is causing the firing pin to fail to rest on the pin.

Mal:
I checked the spring right after reading your reply. I stretched out just a bit, and now it works as before. Thanks for the tip.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

You can also either flatten the pin a little or stake the bolt to keep the pin in. I don't think either is necessary, but if the loose pin really bothers you...

Jim

Back