Ruger MK II jam

Casey

Everyone else here probably already knows the answer to this, but I got a Ruger MK II in blue recently. Out of a box of fifty rounds, fourteen or fifteen will jam. It lays the fired brass accross the top of the round being loaded into the cylinder.

I have cleaned and lubed the gun, and it has not changed the problem whatsoever.

I am shooting PMC Scoremaster through it, but have fired a few clips of other brands and had the same problem.

Any ideas?

Casey

Casey,
I just purchased a Ruger MK512 Mark II as well. Took it out for the first time last weekend. I ran 150 rounds through it out of the box. The only thing I did prior to firing it was run a solvent patch through the barrel to make sure it was clean.

I was using CCI Blazer ammunition. I have some Winchester high velocity ammo that I have not tried yet...

Probably should contact Ruger.

Magazine lips

Greetings,

The same thing happened to me. In my case, the magazine was releasing the fresh round too soon, before the spent round had finished being ejected. Slightly bend the lips until they are just a smidge closer together, or, more better, try a brand new magazine.

Also, believe it or not, too much oil is bad inside your gun and will cause jamming. Also, try using high-velocity ammo until the gun is broken in. (This will throw the bolt a little farther back and keep it open a little longer during cycling.)

Good luck and be safe.

Ledbetter

I'd do two things. One is try different ammo, I recommend breaking in a .22LR semi-auto with HV ammo as a rule. The second thing is to try different magazines.

If changing ammo and magazines doesn't work, then remove the extractor and clean the hole in which it and the spring/bearing resides. I trashed two perfectly good magazines to find out that there was a piece of brass, lead, or whatever that was keeping the extractor from having a full range of motion. To remove the extractor, simply push the spring actuated bearing backwards away from the extractor with a fine screwdriver, dental pick or tweezers, and hold it back. Then just pull outward on the extractor while tipping the bolt sideways and the extractor will come out. Remember now, there is a small spring and a small steel bearing that will also come out as well so be prepared.

I had the exact same thing on mine

The jam you are talking about with the spent brass laying sideways across the next round is exactly what I had with my MKII. I had to send it back to Ruger 2 times to get it working, they replaced nine kinds of crap on it to make it work. Make sure you try Mini-Mags, those are the best ammo I have found for my MKII. I havent had a problem with it since the last trip to Ruger. Send it off, then 2 weeks later, call them and bitch about how long its been, I didnt the first time and it took them 6 weeks to return it, the second time I called after 2 weeks and the lady there told me she would bump it up, I got it shipped back to my FFL in 2 days.

(Not saying this works in your case but)

I had chronic jamming and made it go away by cleaning the gun. It was full of filth from being over-oiled.

When I reassembled it I put VERY little lube in it. It stopped stovepiping.

The range guy (who suggested I strip/clean it when it was jamming) said the gun gets dirty pretty quick, and you have to strip (ouch) and clean it fairly often.

Battler.

I had the same thing happen to me on the anniversary edition... after trying many different ammo brands and thorough cleaning it still gave me fits... I took it back to my dealer who played with it a few minutes and said the extractor spring was broken..They sent it back to Ruger and I bought a different manufacturer's .22.I have seen these complaints on other sites. I think Ruger makes a very good product especially revolvers...but whoever is doing QC on these 22's needs to make quality job #1 BTW mine was brand new .... I hope you can resolve your problem promptly and inexpensively

Casey, what you're describing is becoming the norm for Ruger products. I recently purchased 2 MKII pistols, one was the 50th Anniversary. Same problems as you with spent rounds loose in the action and stovepipes no matter what ammo or how clean the gun was or wasn't. Both pistols have 4k plus rounds each through them now with the magazines replaced once and mag lips adjusted for clearance on the ejector.

Last weekend I ran 500 rounds through the Standard and counted 71 failures. My next step is to replace the extractors and springs on both guns and failing that I'll trade them off on a SIG Trailside.

The only thing I can say is keep trying... I do think the extractors and springs will cure the problem. This is a link to OnTarget, they work with the MKII and have decent custom parts in stock. http://www.ontargetguns.com/

Darryl

The only other thing I can add to this is to make sure the mags are fully seated and the mag catch latched before shooting. If QC has slipped on the manufacturing of the mags this can cause lots of headaches.

Well,
I opened my mouth too soon... Went to the range this weekend and experienced the exact same thing (spent shell laying perpendicular across the next round). I had no more than 5 jams so I am not feeling the brunt of this as much as others.

Two things changed from the last time I shot the pistol.

1. I field striped the gun and cleaned it.
2. I used a different ammo.

The first ammo I used was PMC and the one that I experienced the jam with was Winchester HV. Next trip to the range I will try the PMC again and see if I have the same problem.

Could this problem be caused from disassembly of the pistol? Perhaps the barrel is not fully seated on the receiver after reassembly..

Also, There was a guy in the lane next to me with another Mark II who I helped get out 2 jams.

I would like to say that my Glock 22 .40 has yet you gag on a round after running about 2000 through it. When is Glock going to make a 22 target pistol??

L8R
Jerid

Different or new mag

Next time you see another shooter with a Mark II, explain your problem and ask to borrow a reliable mag for a minute.

Regards.

Back