Ruger Mini 30 . . . ?

Prof Young

Local auction has a Ruger Mini 30. I'm hearing the siren call.
Have been doing on line research. In the mean time, if you have experience with this rifle, please talk to me.
Life is good.
Prof Young

mini 30

Sure. I'm a fan, have been for a long time. I've had one since about 1990 or so, the Clinton era. Back when introduced, gun scribe Ross SEYFREID wrote an article in Guns & Ammo describing the Mini30 as "a modern .30 cal saddle rifle, a very useful rifle". SEYFRIED wrote a lot of articles that steered my gun purchases and that was one. Mine is blue steel and wood stock. The carbine came with the poly upper handguard, but I located a wood upper handguard from a very early Mini14 and put same on my rifle. I installed a Wiliams peep on it, despite the fact that in Ranch Rifle configuration, it came with a folding peep from the factory. I used the rifle with the Williams peep 'till I started having trouble with iron sights of any kind at about age 55. The rifle is now 'scoped with a Leupold 1-4x. The scope went back to Leupold and had a German #1 reticle installed (back when Leupold did such things).

The carbine has been shot fairly extensively, bamaboy and I even shot it in local outlaw 3-gun matches for a season 'till we got an AR. I have used it off and on in my whitetail rifle rotation for years, but have only taken two deer with it, where it performed as needed. As long as Ruger magazines were used it has been ultra reliable. When Ruger released the 20 rd box a few years back, the Mini-30 took on a new dimension. I'll add here that the 5 rd box is a pain in the neck afield. The paddle type mag release is exposed if the 5 rd box is utilized, and that paddle has a tendency to get tripped (in my use anyhow) inadvertently. I've not lost a magazine, but I've come dang close. I have given serious thought to taking a Dremel to the factory paddle and shortening it by 1/4" or so.:rolleyes: The 20 rd box is awkward in the field, but the 10 rd version might be ideal, though I don't have one.

Concerning reliability, there has been much chatter, and many examples, of Mini30's not reliably firing steel case import ammo. I can state that my rifle has NEVER displayed such problems. Back when you could buy a 1200 rd case of Chinese Norinco 7.62x39 for $100, it all went bang, so to Wolfe or any other former com-bloc commercial ammo I,ve fed it. These days it only gets brass cased reloads. My deer load used a 135 gr Sierra single shot pistol bullet, regrettably no longer produced. Nowdays the Hornady 125 gr SST has proven a satisfactory replacement.

Though I take pride and care in my firearms, the Mini30 has not been babied and has had several mishaps. On one occasion, some corrosive ammo got mixed in with my non-corrosive. I swabbed the bore (fortunately) but did not do the gas system. Upon next use, a week or so later, I could not get the action/bolt open. Hosed it down with WD40 and after a few minutes, hit the bolt knob with a mallet. That did it. Cleaned up the system, the Mini never faltered. In another sad story, I left the rifle on the roof of the truck and drove off. It fell out on the county road, lay all night, and got run over at least once (cased). I got the rifle back the next AM, a good neighbor found it at dawn. No damage, though a 20 rd box got crushed. Rifle never stuttered and is as accurate (?) as ever. Suffice to say it is a rugged design.

Early in its introduction, there was chatter about the bores being .308 dia and .310-311 ammo would burn the bore up. There MAY have been a few .308 dia Mini's, dunno. I have shot both .308 and .311 projectiles through mine without incident. At least one gun scribe back in the day stated that the Mini30 had a very long leade and throat intended to squish .311 Euro bullets down to .308 without risk. Again, dunno. I read now that Ruger states all their x39mm rifles are .310-311.

The Mini in all calibers has never been a precision rifle, but accurate enough. Five round 100 yd groups in mine have logged 2-3" inches, plenty good enough for my use. My rifle shot Winchester 125 grain FMJ best, but I never bought the stuff in any quantity.

So.........should you get one?

I think the 7.62 Soviet is a useful cartridge. Nearly as powerful as the old 30-30, moderate recoil, I really like the cartridge and it suffices for the way I hunt whitetails. Once ultra affordable, these days, really cheap steel case is starting to dry up. I read that we may see steel case alternatives, but I have not seen the fruits of that discussion as of yet. Fortunately, I have a fair quantity laid in, as I have two other rifles so chambered. Others may not be so fortunate. Point is, that 7.62 Soviet is not as cheap to shoot as it once was (really, what is?). A local big gun shop has cut back on it's AK pattern rifles for that very reason. They just weren't selling like they used to, and it is likely all about the lack of cheap steel case. But if you are not a high volume shooter, are a reloader, or well financed either way, ammo availability will not be as much as an issue as it might be for others.

I firmly believe that the Mini is a VERY positive choice ahead of the AK or the SKS. It's only rival may be the discontinued SIG 556R (well, I saw a CMMG rifle that took AK mags yesterday....a mere $1700!) Ruger offers solid support, try that with your wonky WASR. The Mini also offers easy scope mounting, not so easy with some Klashnikov's. Available in stainless steel and synthetic stock, such models will be somewhat carefree (note SOMEWHAT) . Out of the box, the Mini has a far better trigger. It is as accurate, likely more accurate than any of the AK/SKS family. The only edge the AK has over the Mini is magazines. AK mags are still plentiful, somebody said you could take your AK to the moon and still find mags for it. And AK mags are near indestructible. The Mini uses proprietary mags and they ain't cheap and may be a bit flimsy if subjected to abuse. But if the 5-rd sporting box and a couple of the 10- 20 rd versions are all you want, cost may be acceptable. The fact that the American bolt rifles use the same mag will keep the Mini mags in the market for a while I would think.

And that brings us to cost. Mini's these days are not cheap. In fact, I have no idea how the Mini14/30 stays afloat. New Ruger has a reputation for nixing models that don't pay off. With the cost of AR's these days still reasonable (time being at least) and Ruger producing their own AR pattern, I don't see how the Mini14 survives. For the price of a new Mini, one could buy two intro AR's and a fair quantity of ammo. I suspect if the Mini14 goes, so will the Mini30. So if a fella really wants one, you'd better get it.

OK, that's it from 'Bama. You asked for it, that's all I have. Mines not for sale.

I had one from the first run back in the day. Shot many northern deer with it and never had one run more than fifty yds before expiring. I did notice substantially more recoil and muzzle blast using combloc ammo, which is when I learned their version of .30 caliber was larger in diameter. I pretty much shot handloads using.308 diameter bullets. With some trigger work and proper handloads it was a reliable 1.75 MOA shooter. It’s one of the rifles I most regret ever selling. I’ve heard various explanations on the bore situation with the early version, one was that it started out at .310 and tapered down to .308 at the last few inches at the muzzle. Seemed a bit far fetched to me at the time, since that would be quite a trick to accomplish machining wise. But what do I know.

Awesome write up Bama!

I had a.223 Ranch Rifle ( Mini-14 ) with a 3X Weaver that shot as good as any light lever action carbine I had experience with. The previous owner complained about the accuracy with 55gr ammo, my dad gave me some 64gr Win PP and we were very pleased. 3 shots would go under 1-1/2” at 100 yds.
Good looking little rifle that functioned perfectly, 7.62X39 should add some usefulness especially if hunting hogs and, or deer are part of its intended use.
Wish it was still here.

I had one. Put a folding stock on it. It was ok but no big deal. If you get it way below retail, I'd go ahead and get it if new or like new. Otherwise no.

One of my friends got a stainless/synthetic 581 series mini 30 rifle and accuracy like my 580 mini 14 was good for maybe a 12 inch plate at 100 yards. The "improved" accuracy with new barrel profile is a lot of hype since Minis still have a thin barrel that heats up quick under the hand guard... DOH. We both got steel struts that clamp to barrel and gas block. Those made both the 14 and 30 more accurate. I can get 2 to 4 inch groups at 50 yards now with green tip using a 4x scope. I have 22 LRs that will do better. They are not really accurate enough to be reliably bustin deer at 150 yards in my opinion but you might find a magic load your gun likes that makes it shoot like a laser beam but I wouldn't bet my house on that. They are reliable..... except with steel cased ammo...... If you don't have a mini they are fun but they lave limits in how far you can hit things reliably depending on their size. M1As are much more accurate but also a lot bigger and heavier.

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks.
Will let you know if I pick it up. Auction date is a month away.
Life is good.
Prof Young

They're reliable and fun to shoot. I had accuracy issues with both of mine one blued and one stainless (stainless seemed more accurate). Sold them and bought an AR and never looked back. I did love the feel of the rifle and wouldn't mind having another one.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I've had mine since 1994 or so.
Bought it used, shot it here and there.
Honestly I only shoot rifles occasionally, and I'm not the world's greatest rifleman, but that said, it shoots pretty well.
I have owned a number of ARs in 5.56, .300BLK, x39, and I really enjoy shooting the Mini 30 better than any of them.
YMMV.

Accu-strut

Thanks for the atta boy Pumpkin. I spend way too much time here, nice to know somebody notices and is positive about my chatter:).

The gizmo that attaches to the barrel of the Mini family is the Accu-strut. As I I recall, there is a wee bit cheaper offering from somebody, but I cannot remember who, or if it is still available. I have also seen pics of a couple of homemade DIY versions that did not look bad. The A-strut comes in different lengths and finishes, I have given thought to buying the short blued one as an aid to accuracy, as well as enhancing the M14/M1A look.

The Accu-strut is not cheap, $100 bucks or so.

4"-6" at 100yd out-of-box is already considered above average. A few tricks can be tried to shrink the group by half perhaps. That's about it. The design and construction have quite a bit to be desired. For almost all rational considerations, it is no competition to the AR.

But I still have mine, a mini-14, for the same reason I like my m1 carbine. It is irrational. I know certain states don't allow AR. It is also irrational.

On the caliber, 7.62x39 is not favorable but tolerable. It requires LRP that it doesn't really need. Bullet choice is limited.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
LRP

Took a while for me to figure out the acronym. LRP - Large Rifle Primers

From a practical standpoint, Komrad can load 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 with the same primer. Pretty handy actually. Would the large primer insure ignition in super cold weather as well?
No question about engineering and design. The AR family was designed in the 1960's using the most advanced materials and thoughts of the day, and improved upon since. The Mini's base design ( m-1 Garand) hails from pre WWII, twenty years of more prior. Interestingly, both USA designs and state of the art for the time. (yeah, I know Ruger released the Mini14 in 1973)
The cartridges have the same history to a certain degree. From my Fuddish perspective, the 7.62x39mm makes for a superior hunting cartridge for medium game, though never intended that way. If that's irrational so be it. I'd much rather hunt deer/hogs/black bear with 7.62x39mm than 5.56mm. There are factory loads with bullet weights up to 150 grains, along with the traditional 123-125 range. One can experiment with various .30 call bullets as well if a handloader.

Oh yeah, I like the M-1 carbine too!

I didn't have problem with LRP on 7.62x39 before. Only recently when LRP has become such a rare commodity. Now I probably will convert 6.5mm Grendel brass to use SRP if I want to shoot my SKS.

AR also offer unbeatable caliber flexibility. 5.56 is not the only option. I have .300 AAC, 6.5mm Grendel, 6mm ARC with only one lower. And I live behind the enemy line in CA.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back