RUGER Mini-14 Mag in a Mini-30 ???

shemp

Inactive
Purchased a used Ruger Mini-30, s/n 189-15XXX, at gunshow this past Sunday. However, after arriving home, suprised to see floorplate on factory (?) five round magazine reads "RUGER mini-14 (logo)". 7.62x39 cartridges fit into mag, and mag pops right into mag well. A pull on the bolt handle seems to properly load a round out of the mag. Are the Mini-14 and Mini-30 magazines interchangeable or could this be (my suspicion) a Mini-30 mag mislabeled with a Mini-14 floorplate ??? Thanks...

7.62x39 cartridges will fit in the mini-14 mag. The real test to see which one you have is how many will fit in the mag. I could only get 4 7.62's in a Ruger 5 shot mini-14 mag. If you can easily get 5 in, then the floor plate has been swapped. That shouldn't cause a problem.

But, this brings up an interesting alternative. How many .223's will fit in a mini-30 mag and will they cycle flawlessly? I don't have a mini-30 to test with.

Mal, five rounds (and no more) of 7.62x39 fit smartly into this mag no sweat. Based on your test, will conclude it's not a Mini-14 mag but indeed the correct Mini-30 mag with wrong floorplate. Don't have any .223 on hand but will borrow some to test fit, out of curiosity. Thanks...

Had an opportunity to conduct a side by side comparison of the Ruger 5 round Mini14 and Mini30 magazines and found that the difference was in the lips. If I recall correctly, the Mini30 are slightly further apart and from the back towards the front, tapered wider.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back