Ruger Match Champion - found great deal

Mr.Bro

Inactive
I have been looking at getting a new 357 for a while, specifically a version of the GP100. I have a blued 6 inch GP100 that is a great gun, but I wanted a midsize in the 4 inch (or 4.2 now). The Match Champion was my ideal choice. I absolutely loved the feel when I held one, size/weight, and even the grips were perfect to me. However, I couldn't see myself paying almost $750 for it. Started looking at some deals on the regular model and one day saw the MC on Budsgunshop for $543!! I thought it was almost an error but I didn't hesitate and snatched it up. That was cheaper than ANY model of the GP100 they had in stock. It was the fixed model, which I liked the look of more, but kinda wanted the adjustable. Then I found that Novak makes an adjustable that is a direct replacement for $70, so it would still be an amazing deal with that.

I received the gun (half expecting a fake or something!). Everything was perfect and it feels great. I have shot a few boxes through it and love it! I will most likely change the springs as I did on my other GP, after shooting it for a while longer. I'm sure it will smooth out, but not to the same feel as the other has with the Wolff springs. Surprisingly, I'm perfectly happy with the fixed rear and will leave it as is.

Probably one of the better deals I've got on a new handgun. It was immediately out of stock there after and now Buds doesn't even have it in their listings for Ruger revolvers, in or out of stock. Lesson: jump on those great deals when you see them!

I think it is a common error to mess with the springs on a new Ruger. Trying to make it like butta is asking for light strikes and then unreliable ignition. Not good. The thing about Rugers is that you have to learn to shoot them.

Lesson: jump on those great deals when you see them!

Good for you.

(That gun is on my short list, that or S&W L frame .357 magnum.)

With even a reasonable amount of care your grand kid could easily wind up shooting that gun.

I understand some people want to just change the springs and get the lightest trigger possible and they usually are looking for trouble. I also find that too many people have a mindset that changing anything on a gun from the factory is a crazy notion. If you test it out properly for function and reliability then you should be able to determine whether or not there is an issue. Rugers are some of my favorite guns and what I own most of, and they all have different triggers. You will find plenty of others on here who have a completely different trigger in their same exact model GP100 vs another. They don't always come exactly the same from the factory. Although I'm sure anyone could learn to shoot any handgun they own decently, regardless of how good or bad the trigger is, there is nothing wrong with improving that trigger to make it easier/more enjoyable.

If blindfolded, I believe I could pick the Rugers from a crowd. I shoot them a lot, DA and SA. They will never be like my Smiths or as smooth as my Interarms Rossis or Ubertis. I own them mostly for caliber and price. The Match Champion though is special. The 5" GP100 is terrific in single action. Not sure I ever fired it DA. Both of those guns had to be sent back early on, so they may have had custom tuning done in the process.

That's usually what I hear in regards to the Smiths, about having such a nice trigger. I think people want to try and achieve similar results in a cheaper option like the Ruger. I can't say that it compares to a Smith but after just putting a slightly lighter hammer spring in my worn-in Gp100 it easily has the smoothest trigger of all my handguns. Both SA and DA are perfect, so I'm sold on that as an option at least. Maybe one day though I will enter the world of Smith revolvers, then see how I feel about triggers.

I bought a used SP101 3" that someone had given this gun a trigger job that beats every smith I have ever shot. I think that is why I love my Kimber K6S so much because it reminds me of my Ruger.

I can't say that it compares to a Smith but after just putting a slightly lighter hammer spring in my worn-in Gp100 it easily has the smoothest trigger of all my handguns

I can compare it to a Smith.....and the well used GP100 with the slightly lighter hammer is nicer. But right out of the box the Smith wins hands down.

Mine was made in '95 and has been shot a lot. By me especially since I bought it used.

Back