Ruger Mark III 22/45 Shhhhh!

SGW Gunsmith

Like's too short to have a LOUD .22 pistol:

0hniRZql.jpg

It took a "special" prototype bolt ( weighs less than half of the factory bolt ) and one other part, but I finally got this pistol to shoot, and FULLY cycle CCI Quiet .22 rimfire. Now, this pistol only says a little bit when the bolt returns forward. Feral cats expire from a "deadly whisper"!

Suppressor is from Lauer Weaponry down in Chippewa Falls, WI, and being an LLC, no fingerprints and no mug shots involved. Steve Lauer is the fella who introduced Dura-Coat to the shooting world and that's what I used for the grip frame and magazine floor plates. The steel trigger is from "old/new" stock of AMT Lightening parts.

That’s pretty cool. Is the bolt a modified OEM bolt, or was it custom made from scratch? Also, what’s the other part needed? I understand if you’re not willing to give away trade secrets, but I’m curious.

SGW Gunsmith said:
being an LLC, no fingerprints and no mug shots involved.
Trusts and LLCs have been required to submit fingerprints and passport photos since July 13th, 2016. Did you submit your Form 4 before that or are you saying that you’re an FFL/SOT so all you had to do was receive the silencer on a Form 3?

Got mine before that requirement. Serial number of this suppressor is in my bound book and that's all that the compliance ATF agent wanted to know, along with seeing my tax stamp.

The bolt and other part(s) are proprietary. And, yes I am an FFL. Doing gun repair and keeping a customers firearm for more that 24 hours, you must have an FFL, and, log it into a bound book for dispersal. That's the LAW!

Last edited:
SGW Gunsmith said:
Doing gun repair and keeping a customers firearm for more that 24 hours, you must have an FFL, and, log it into a bound book for dispersal. That's the LAW!
I figured you’re an FFL since you’re a gunsmith, but I was wondering if you were also an SOT since you said you used your LLC to get the silencer without fingerprints or photos. I though maybe you meant you used your FFL/SOT to get it. I figured it was either that or that you might be unaware of the 41F changes that took effect in July of 2016. Considering it’s a common misconception that trusts and LLCs still don’t require fingerprints and photos, I thought I’d ask. Thanks for clarifying.

Anyway, that’s a really cool setup. Are you planning on offering Mk series mods like that to order or was that a one-off project?

Maybe just our Rugers' preferences are different but we couldn't get the accuracy level we needed from the QUIET ammo. It's good enough for shooting critters on the trap line @ 6' but not for ringing the 100 yard gong.

Looks like a fun setup, I also like my 22/45 with my can on it. It seems to be the closest to Hollywood whisper quiet.

That is a nice looking set up. I would love something like that but don't have a need and pretty sure I would get in trouble with it. By that, I mean putting a secret range in the basement and getting caught by my bride.

Looks good! I'm doing the same thing with my Mark III. Currently, it's torn apart awaiting for my funds to build up for a cerakote job though :(

I figured you’re an FFL since you’re a gunsmith, but I was wondering if you were also an SOT since you said you used your LLC to get the silencer without fingerprints or photos. I though maybe you meant you used your FFL/SOT to get it. I figured it was either that or that you might be unaware of the 41F changes that took effect in July of 2016. Considering it’s a common misconception that trusts and LLCs still don’t require fingerprints and photos, I thought I’d ask. Thanks for clarifying.

Anyway, that’s a really cool setup. Are you planning on offering Mk series mods like that to order or was that a one-off project?
No, this was a couple of years before those changes took place. I was aware that there were some moves in process to eliminate the LEO sign off, but was not aware of the finger printing and photo requirement change. That change is a bit confusing because I do not actually own the suppressor, the LLC does, and the business doesn't have fingerprints, and it would be interesting to see how the photo requirement works.
The reason why we went with an LLC is so that others listed as business partners can disperse paperwork required inventory, such as the suppressor, after my passing rather than get tied up with a bunch of paperwork.

Theohazard:

I've been working with and modifying Ruger Mark pistols since 1971. This is a Ruger Mark II upper that I bought from an owner who popped an inch and a half off of a perfectly good 10-inch barrel. The rib has since been replaced with a lower profile version, much like those used on Browning O/U shotguns.

zENYcfKl.jpg

If you send me a PM, we can probably discuss further.

Back