Ruger Mark II going into battery issues

My Ruger Mark II was running fine. Only cleaned barrel and visible area of upper receiver when bolt was back. Decided to pull the bold and clean along with upper receiver. Every thing went back together, not any issues and from the manual and videos, everything looks good. However I a now having issues with the bolt going in to battery. If bolt cocked or slide stop released it will fire, but subsequent shots will not and the bolt is out of battery about 1/16”. If the bolt is pushed forward it will fire, but subsequent shots will not unless bolt is pushed forward. Also cartridge will be fully in the chamber but the bolt is not fully in battery with the extractor not hooked on the rim.

Any one have this issue or any ideas?

Last edited:
Had a similar issue with my Mk. 3.

When I first took my Ruger Mk. 3 apart to clean it there was a small piece of sheet metal that had been inside the gun, loose, from the factory that had been in a secure spot and not causing any issues before. After putting the gun back together the piece became lodged in the magazine release button so i could not push it, really confounded me for a bit.

I learned from that to check for weird things that might be inside a gun if there is an issue.

I've been having a similar issue with my MKIII as well. It became an issue after I removed the mag disconnect safety and added a TK hammer bushing. The pistol fails to return to battery once or twice every magazine. I haven't figured out the cause yet.

10 to 1 it's the replaced hammer bushing. Who you bought that bushing from does not make those bushings, and nothing else they buy and re-sell.
They copied a hammer bushing that a fella who calls himself "Sam Lam" came up with and I worked a bit with to get the bushing to work properly.
The issue is, one bushing does not fit all circumstances. Ruger Mark pistol hammers have allowable tolerances so one size does not fit all.
In all probability the left end of that hammer bushing is rubbing against the inside face of the safety plate, and also binding the action of the disconnector.

SGW, I had a thread about my issue or posted about it before. I think you responded before as well. I believe you are correct. I may just return it to stock.

Not sure, must have did something in either taking apart ir putting back together. Was first time I took it apart.
That's it ...I've done it a few times myself , do over and double check that everything goes back proper... some days I hate that rascal..but it shoots so well .
Gary

Back