Ruger Mark II accuracy goal

RHC

What should my goal be for accuracy with this pistol?

Right now using two hands I can keep nine shots from
a magazine in about a five inch circle at 20 yards.

I'm not an exceptional shot with anything, so
I'm not expecting to win any Olympic medals.

Should I be working hard to shrink the circle, or
is that OK?

RHC,

I guess it depend what your goal is. If you just trying the scare the heck out of somebody in the back yard, five inch groups at 20 yards is okay. If you are going to try and kill squirrels, or impress you freinds with targets you bring home from the range, then five inch groups will not do! :-)

I recommend mixing your free hand shooting with some bench shooting off of some nice sandbags, or even a cheap MTM plastic pistol rest. You can take some of the things you learn off the sandbags into your free hand shooting, like just how accurate your darn pistol actually can be!

Unless there is something wrong with your Ruger MkII, it should shoot well under two inch groups as 20-25 yards. I have a slab sided "Government" model with a 6 7/8" barrel that can shoot under 1 inch groups at 21 yards (indoors off a rest). After I saw how accurate the pistol was, it gave me tangible goals for how accurate _I_ needed to be! :-)

Enjoy! -Thomas

Don't forget to first try various types of ammo from a bench to assertain what your gun likes, you'll be amazed at the differences in ammunition brands! You could be using something your gun won't shoot tight groups with and be thinking its your fault.

What to expect

The ultimate in what to expect is to shoot a box of 50 rounds at 25 yards, off hand/one handed and keep them in the black on a B-16 target.

I can fire a box of 50 rounds into a circle about 2 inches at 20 yards, using 2 hands.

Thanks. I can do better when resting the
gun on something than I described.

Lots of times I've noticed that the first shot from
a magazine is right on the bulls-eye, and then I get
high and sometimes left as I shoot through the mag.

I guess that's good news for hunting, but I would like to
be more consistent.

With proper ammunition, my Mark II with 6 and 7/8ths barrels shoots .5 inch groups at 25 yds. That was only achieved, from a sandbag, after putting a Bushnell 2 to 6 power scope on it and getting a trigger job. The type of ammunition is Lapua Midas or Eley Tenex. I use it now for League Bullseye shooting with a Tasco Propoint red dot instead of a heavy scope. I don't get the same groups with the red dot as I did with the scope, but I know what the gun is capable of.

For some reason, I never shot well with stock factory sites. I started to doubt the guns intrinsic accuracy, but then I put the scope on. What a difference.

Good Luck

Back