ruger m77

I am considering buying a ruger m77 30-06 in the all weather model. While checking out the web sight, I became concerned about the stainless finish. It looks like the stainless is polished (very bright). Any one that owns one or has seen one please let me know.

No, mine is not polished bright, but it has some sheen to it, more like a satin finish. Any metal that is smooth and clean will look somewhat shiny. If you want matte, take it and have it bead blasted.

The New Ruger Hawkeye rifle in stainless is not polished. The M77 is a very bright polished stainless finish. I would not buy another Ruger though...mine is very inaccurate.

I own a new Model 77, in 7mm Rem. Magnum. It will shoot 140 gr. loads into less than 1 MOA at 200 yards. It took a little experimentation with ammunition, and action torque values to allow this, but it seems to work just fine. My original M77 Ruger, in .30-06, is 24 years old, and will shoot 165 gr. loads into 1 MOA at 100 yds. Go figure.

I should be getting mine back from Ruger pretty soon...it would not shoot any better than 4 inches at 100 yards. I contacted Ruger when they had my rifle and they said that they couldn't get it to shoot any better than 4 inches either. Supposedly it is fixed now...but I'm not sure what their standard is for 'fixed'.

Supposedly it is fixed now...but I'm not sure what their standard is for 'fixed'.

Last I heard, 1.5"MOA w/factory ammo.. but that was 2nd hand info when I got it. Wonder what they ended up doing to it?

I got a Ruger M77 mkII stainless in .30-06, does about 1.2-1.4 MOA with factory fodder. Been trying to fine tune some handloads for a bit better. The stainless is like Scorch stated, more of a matt/satin finish. It's a '95 model, if I remember right. The new Hawkeyes are even more toned down, almost making mine look well polished!

I recently purchased 2 M77s stainless in both a 30-06 and 300mag. They were on sale for 444.00. I stood there forever debating even purchasing it due to horror accuracy claims. Im glad i did. The 30-06 with the first 5 3shot groups put 3 of the groups under an inch at 100yds. The smallest was less than 3/4 of an inch measured outside to outside and could be covered with a penny. This was with factory Federal 150gr and PMC 180gr. The stainless is a little shiny but it doesnt bother me. The hawkeye has a duller finish.

I have a mkII 300mag that shoots ~1moa with cheapo corelokt ammo, and much better with handloads. So dont worry about the poor accuracy thing, I have shot five rugers and all were at least 1.5 moa, most better.

the finish on the ones I have delt with are dull, with very little shine.

Slightly off topic.....

Does anyone know if you can purchase any aftermarket stocks for the Ruger M77 Mark II, All Weather.

I have one in .223, and I've never really liked the factory stock.

If I had gone with a Remington 700, I'd have so many choices, I wouldn't know what to do!

The metal on mine is not "quite polished", meaning you can't see yourself in it.

If you've ever seen a Ruger stainless MKII pistol, it looks a lot like that.

If you're one of those hunters that thinks he need to use designer camo on every square inch of you body (including your undies), you won't like it.

If you're smart enough to realize that you're talking about using a 30.06 with a scope on it (meaning you're not trying to sneak up and stab your prey with a knife), you'll probably appreciate the all-weather stainless enough to live with the fact that it's silvery.

Or, get the best of both worlds. Spray paint the barrel. No, I'm not kidding.

Does anyone know if you can purchase any aftermarket stocks for the Ruger M77 Mark II, All Weather.

Yes, by the metric ton...

Including but not limited to:

Boyd's
Richard's McroFit
Hogue's overmolded
Choate

And misc. other wood and Synthetic stock manufacturers.. Good luck deciding WHO to buy from.. ;)

Edit: you will have to know if it is pre or post 2001. Does it have the skeleton/boat paddle stock or a "normal" synthetic stock?

Last edited:
Supposedly it is fixed now...but I'm not sure what their standard is for 'fixed'.

Ruger has good coustomer service in genral. Do be aware their test range is only 50yd and they like to say "We got a 1" group on our range". Their range is very short and they test with fed premiun at 50yd. :eek: Be sure to ask how many shots with what ammo and you will have to press to get them to admit the distance they shot at. I love rugers and their service, but you will have to press for the accuracy facts.

The Ruger stainless M-77 finish is brushed (or Target gray). The nice thing about the brushed stainless finish is that small blemishes can be removed with some 1200 grit sandpaper.

Sure wished I could have done that with my brand new Remington 700 BDL stainless when it tipped off the bipod and fell on a rock. That one has to be sanded and then re-bead blasted.

Ruger 77

New member here. I have a Ruger 77 early model with tang safety. I floated the barrel and get consistant 1" groups (or less) at 100 yards with my handloads.

When Ruger first released their stainless heavy barrel models back in 1994 time frame, I just had to have one. I bought a 25-06. That rifle turned out to be a POS! Wouldn't shoot better than 1 1/8" @ 100 yards with every handload I tried in it. I sold it and now shoot a Czech Mauser action barreled with a 26" Parker Hale Cadet bull barrel. It is a consistant MOA (and better) rifle with everything I feed it.

Tom

Back