Ruger M77 vs. Savage 110 vs. remington 700

I am a big fan of semi auto rifles and have several. As the prices seem to be through the roof right now im looking to get a new or used bolt action. I dont know a lot about bolt rifles. Im looking for a larger calibur, from .300 win mag to .338 lapua mag. I just want the best bang for my buck in the $800-$1200 range. I want accuracy, reliabilty and quality. Any suggestions?

Ill stay within those 3 and recommend Savage. Then Ill go outside the box and urge you to also consider Sako/Tikka, and Weatherby. Nothing wrong with Interlock's suggestions either. This thread is gonna be worse than Ford vs. Chevy

Last edited:
Neither of the 3 you picked are bad choices. I have Savage, but would be happy with either of the others. I just got a better deal on the Savage than the others at the time.

accuracy-wise... the Savage is most likely to please you.

But the Remington will have the best re-sale and will give your more options to modify it in the future...

Dan

My recommendation for a larger caliber, especially since you already have a 300 wm, is 338 win mag. Components are easy to find. Good bc bullets. Many rifles chambered in it to choose from.

My Ruger M77 in 338 wm is sub moa with both handloads and Federal premium ammo.

Your other options will also be good rifles. Choose the one that fits you and is comfortable. It also wont hurt if you like the looks of a gun.

Savage Freak.

I'm confessing right now, I am a Savage Freak,,,, yep... yep I know, I know, I also Love other brands such as Remington 700's and Weatherby Vanguards, but the Savage is my go to brand for a new purchase for sure.;)
Look at the Savage BA 110 for the Lupua, and the "Long Range Hunter" for the Win Mag.;)

I've been very satisfied with the many Ruger bolt-action rifles I've shot and still own over the past several decades and I recommend them (along with Ruger's fine customer service record) highly. I have owned a couple of Remington bolt-action rifles over the years and still own bolt-action rifles made by Browning, Savage and Weatherby (oddly, never a Model 70 :confused:) but my preference is still for the Ruger Model 77 and all of its later iterations. Tough, reliable good-looking and (mine, at least) accurate. Some of them would benefit from some trigger work, however.

Of the three brands you started with I would pick a ruger or a Remington. They are two of the strongest actions out there. A savage will likely out shoot them but the others should shoot pretty good too.

Do you all realize how many Savages they would sell if they could make them look and feel a little more like a Vanguard or a 700--everyone is familier with their accuracy and the accu-trigger seems to work fine, the fit and finish are good and they do cost less, sometimes a lot less, so why aren't they more popular---

Savages are getting more popular, but I agree that the 700 has the edge as far as overall "feel"...

Savage is revamping a lot of their old design... barrel nut has been smoothed... change on the bolt release... and such.

I have three Savage bolt action rifles, one is an old 110FP in .308... and it does stuff like this:

110FPat825yards.jpg

It's really hard to match the accuracy of the Savage's button rifled barrel for accuracy in a factory rifle...

Dan

ajrhilde, Savage is working 24 hours a day 6 days a week and is carrying a huge backlog of unfilled orders. I dont think they need to try to improve their sales.:D

Ruger, Remington, Savage, Browning all make excellent rifles. I have owened all of them and still have most and each shoots sub moa with handloads. By the model that fits you and your body and feel really good in your hands. Just my

The cost of factory .338 Lapua ammo is outrageous, about $150 per 20 rounds, more if you want match ammo. Handloading knocks the price down quite a bit, but even then its still a few dollars per round. I'm a big Savage fan, but I got a chance to hold the 110 fcp w/ the HS precision stock, and it just felt "funny" to me. the grip seemed to be set a bit far back from the trigger for my taste, and not very ergonomic. With that savage muzzle brake though, testimonials say it recoils like a .243.

I have a Ruger M77 MK2 in .270 win that is fantastic. I have a cheap Chinese PR3-9x40 on it and it shoots like a laser. I can put 3 shots in 1 hole a 100 yards if I do my part. Might be a little light for a big magnum rifle, depends how recoil sensitive you are. The .270 cartridge doesn't bother me, but you want bigger.

Back