Ruger M77 Ultra light in 7.62x39mm

thequickad

I am thinking of purchasing a M77 in 7.62x39 because the ammo is super cheap. Does anyone have any experience or comment on this particular model. My purpose of be general plinking and possibly deer hunting. Thankyou! :)

Fine, for plinking. Marginal for deer hunting, unless it's small deer; and, you're an excellent shot and the probable ranges are on the short side.

IMO, you'd be better off taking up hand-loading for a .308; maybe a .243. The latter would be preferable for varmint hunting as well as deer.

FWIW, Art

DID SOMEBODY SAY "Ultra-Lite"?
I got one when they first came out and, WISH I HAD BOUGHT SOMETHING ELSE.

My Ruger Ultra-Lite is in .223 and it is a one shoter. If you want to groupe smaller than 3 1/2 inches, I must wait 5 minutes between shots.
MADISON

I have a .257 Roberts m77 ultalight.

I'd suggest a HEAVIER barrel, if possible.

I think bull bbl's are excessive, but I can't shoot more than a half-dozen rounds without having to wait 10 mintues for the light bbl to cool down.

lightweight is fine for hunting, where you only shoot once or twice a day. but for plinking or target shooting, it's just to wimpy.

I love the caliber, and the action is good, but the bbl is too small (the bbl outer diameter is less than 0.5 inch.. the caliber is .257... ummmm)

Of course, .257 runs faster (hotter) than 7.62x39, but still..

What i'd really like is the same gun (with the MK-II action, maybe), with a fluted barrel

------------------
Abe Smith,
President of UW-Madison's
Student Alliance for Firearm Education and Responsibility

Back