Ruger M77 Trigger Pull

ATTICUS

I recently purchased a Ruger M77 MKII in .300 WinMag and would like a little advice. I have not measured the trigger pull weight but it seems a little stiff. I've read that a lot of shooters have it adjusted. I plan to use this rifle for hunting purposes so what would be the best pull weight for it? Thanks.

I bought a 77-2 in .223. It came with a .22 rifle type of non-adjustable, tort-liability trigger.

$70 later, one of Mr. Timney's finest came to me for installation...

Easy job; just a wee bit of grinding to get the safety to fit properly.

Shoots much better, now...

FWIW, Art

Atticus, Dayton-Traister also makes a pretty good trigger for this rifle. Talk it over with your local smith. It might just need a little judicious polishing. I did a 2.5# job for a guy a couple of weeks ago. His was in 6mm. So, it can be done. George

Don't forget that Brownells, and Midway USA have aftermarket triggers that range in price from the mid $30's to the low $200's. If it's a hunting rifle, I'd tend to think that 4 - 4.5#'s would be good enough. Too light means that there is more of a chance of the shot going off too soon, and too heavy means that you might tend to jerk. You'll find that the aftermarket triggers will give you enough adjustability so that you can find your own happy medium.
Happy Hunting! Unkel Gilbey

Atticus,

Before you go out and blow a wad of money, try adjusting the trigger pull. The poundage screw is right on the trigger itself. Make sure the gun is unloaded of course and with muzzle pointed in a safe direction, turn the rifle over so you can see that tiny allen screw head in the trigger. If you don't feel comfortable about fiddling with it (or want someone else to have the liability), take it to your gunsmith. Should be cheaper than buying a new trigger.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Gary 4V50: I hope for Atticus' sake that you're right and I'm wrong, but the trigger on the 77-2 I bought looked like something off a Monkey Ward .22--absolutely no provision anywhere to adjust a damned thing!

Stone it? Sure! Replace the spring with a softer one? Sure! Adjust? Forget it.

FWIW, Art

Art,

Come to think of it, you're probably right. Ruger did reengineer the trigger and excluded the allen head screw at the bottom of the trigger on the current production guns. My apologies to our members and thank you for keeping me honest. Boy, am I getting old or what?

Ruger does make a nicer trigger which is adjustable for poundage and travel, but it's for their varmint and police precision marksman (Sniper Sniper Sniper - there, I said it) rifle. I suspect that it can be installed on the regular production gun but it's best to call customer service at the Newport factory to find out.

Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back