Ruger M77 Question

KRAPP56

Looking for a little help here...local fun store has a .30-06 Ruger Model 77 w/3 x9 Leupold for 799.00. It's one of the older ones, I think, due to the flat or dog leg bolt. Looking for an accurate deer rifle, but have read that accuracy was hit or miss with these, something which was improved in the later 77 II models. Anyone out there with experience with this rifle? Should mention that the rifle is 99% with a super clean bore and butter smooth action. Too much $ or about right. Thanks for your help.

It would depend on which Leupold scope to me. If it were a VX-3 or equivelent I might be interested. If it were the VX-1 the price is more than I would want to pay.

The older tang safety rifles have a following of people who prefer them and it will probably sell at near that price to someone, even if it has the cheaper scope. Accuracy was a bit spotty on those older rifles but some were exceptional.

I think the price is too high. I do like the tang safety Rugers though. They can be rebarrelled, you know.

Sounds too rich for my blood. The flat bolt handles are from the late 60s/early 70s. They must be holding out for a collector to pick it up. Around $500 would be about right. Keep looking.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger M77 in .22 Hornet (not sure if it's a II) with a Simmons Aetec scope and it is an absolute tack driver. Not sure how the big M77s do but mine is super accurate.

The price is a bit too high..keep looking. I own a 77R in 300WM. Seems to be a tackdriver and has brought down a lot of game with never even 1 problem. When I purchaced the rifle new, it was $317. I sure wouldnt pay 700 for one, but I wouldnt take 1k for the one I have.

Does it have a round top with seperate rings or the Ruger integrated ring system? I traded my old 7 mag. top tang safety M77 with a Refield 3-9X for my AR 15, or about $650 in value. The Vari-XII you seem to describe would be worth more than the Redfield on mine, but not by much. I'd offer a little less in all green ca$h and see what he'd counter with. Even the older rifles shoot well after bedding and floating, and the triggers were better.

-7-

As already mentioned, there's a good bit of difference between a newer VXIII's value and an older Vari-XII. That being said, I recently found an 80's NIB Ruger 77 in the rare .284 Win for $465. So, I'd have to say it seems to be listed for top dollar. You could buy a NIB Hawkeye, in the caliber of your choice and add a VXI (or Burris FFII, Elite Bushnell, Sightron or Nikon) for less than what they want. Just a thought.

Thanks for all your replies...Called back to the store today...offered me 25.00 off the original 799.00...also verified that the scope was a V II 3x9x40. Even though it's in primo condition, think I will pass.

I have owned 2 All Weather models; one in 308 and the other in 7.62x39; they were both super accurate, always shooting 1 moa or tighter. The 308 I purchased just after I got out of the army in 1989 and the other one I bought 2-3 years ago. They are the best shooting rifles(IMO) for the money. I'd say $500-600 dollars is average.

I just acquired a brand new FNAR yesterday and will be leaving to test it at the range later on today.

Back