Ruger M77 MKll ?

rcupka

Guys,
Need some advice on a used rifle my son has his eye on at our local gun store. He found a 3 or 4 year old Ruger M77 MKll in 30-06. It is stainless with the gray/black colored wood laminate stock. The gun looks brand new, I see no dents or dings in the wood and the bore looks flawless. Comes with the Ruger rings/ no scope. The store wants $425. The have a new one in stock they are asking $793 for, so this seems like a reasonable price. My only 30-06 is a Garand so I don't have a good reference on the desirability / Value / Reputation of this model. I have a few Ruger handguns I am pleased with, but what is your take on this Model?

Thank You in advance,

Dick Cupka

I have that same gun in a left hand model about the same age. I've been happy with it. I did have the barrel free floated because it was only shooting 3moa. After the free float it's down to a touch over 1.5moa. The trigger isn't anything to write home about a standard heavy Ruger trigger, but it doesn't bother me for a hunting rifle.
I paid $550 new. It's the only gun I've bought from WalMart. It was a special order item. Not sure what they charge now.

I think that is a very good deal, go for it.

I have an older, late 90's, 77MkII. It is a good hunting rifle. The rings/mount are rugged and they're part of the package.

Finding the right load it likes and some extremely minor tinkering, on mine, can turn it into a MOA or less shooter.

I have never had a problem with mine. I moose hunt with it. I use a boat to hunt with and a snow machine in the the winter. It goes in the boat, gets knocked around a bit. On the snow machine its subject to minus something degree weather, always works.

I have one in a 22-250 and I got the trigger set for 3.5 lbs. cost me like $50. and it is a good rifle it also shoots around 1.5 moa with factory ammo. I'm looking at selling it and $425 is a good price. around here they are selling for abou 450 500 bucks and some of them arn't in great condition

I have this rifle in the .243 and it is great. This appears to be a very good deal to me. The scope mounts for this rifle are on the expensive side. The fact that you're getting them with the rifle is a plus.

I HAVE OWNED THAT SAME RIFLE IN THAT CALIBER AND I LOVED IT ! SOMEONE MUST HAVE LOVED IT MORE THAN ME BECAUSE THEY STOLE IT !:mad: THE TRIGGER PULL ON THAT MAKE OF RIFLE IS AROUND 6 TO 8 POUNDS SO YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE IT WORKED ON IF THIS ISYOUR SONS FIRST RIFLE . IT IS HARD TO SHOOT TIGHT GROUPS WITH A TRIGGER THAT HEAVY

Ruger

I personally have had marginal success with Ruger centerfire rifles. Their 10/22 on the the other hand is another matter. But you are interested in getting the M77. I have shot three of them (all 30.06). None belonged to me. None did better than 3 inches. Maybe it's just me. For that price range I would look to Tikka or Howa. Then we are talking 1 inch or better.

JP

I have three model 77's, and have worked with each one to get it to shoot well. There three basic things I did to each one to get it to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards for three shots. Free float the barrel, do a simple spring change with the trigger, and polish the bore of the barrel with JB Bore Paste will get then shooting very well.

Martyn

Back