Ruger m77 mkii varmint

NHSHOOTER

Was at my LGS today and saw a nice looking RUGER M77 MKII VARMINT in 223, It has a Tasco 6-24 scope on it. Looks to be in real nice condition, just wondering if any of my fellow members has any history with 1 and if so, opinions?

I have an older Mk II in .223, but light sporter. Tack driver, even before I replaced the tort liability trigger with a Timney. Reliably half-MOA.

I own one in .25-06, 1.5 moa at 100 yards, does best with lighter bullets and a fouled barrel. say 10-15 shots!

T. O'Heir Trust me, I already have a scope on the shelf for the rifle, I did look thru the Tasco and it looked quite clear but my T24 weaver fixed will go nicely on that rifle.

I have 2 other Rugers and both have timney's, I was hoping the one on this gun being a 2 stage adjustable "might" be ok..They wont let me dry fire it at the LGS. its got a trigger lock on it. I will change it if I have to.

Rex from the Sniper 101 instructional videos has,shoots one. His in 243Win.
He says it shoots much better when he doesn't clean the copper out. Aka it needs copper fouling to shoot it's best. He regularly shoots it 600-1000 yards.

My Hawkeye Predator FTW has the same trigger. I found it goes in the "not too bad" category. Mine breaks at just about 2 1/4 lb.s with a small amount of decernable creep after the very light and obvious first stage of take up.

Re the Tasco: I once bought a match target AR with a World Class 6-24x40 on it. It was clear. The adjustments were perfect. I did the four-inch-square three-shot group test. Shot three times, moved right, then down, then left and then back up. Fifth group was right on top of the first group.

That was in 1997, so I guess that Tascos of that general vintage were maybe better than before or since, I dunno. IOW, test before tossing. :)

Art, My brother that lives in Ca had a 6-24 tasco that his new wife bought for him so to appease her he put it on his 243, he loved it and still uses it to this day, I will certainly try it before tossing it. If I were going on a once in a lifetime hunt..not so much but just to punch paper..What the heck..

If I'm buying a big game rifle to hunt in harsh conditions or after game where the rifle absolutely, positively had to function a Ruger 77 variant would be near if not at the top of the list.

If I were buying a rifle where extreme accuracy were the primary concern they would be near the bottom of my list. All of them are plenty accurate for general big game hunting at reasonable ranges. But for extreme accuracy for target or long range varmint shooting the odds of getting great accuracy are much better with other brands. Some people luck into good ones, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

The new Ruger American rifles, especially the Predator and Precision Rifle versions are a different story. Those are proving to shoot. I'm just not convinced yet as to long term durability and reliability. Time will tell.

Tasco scopes made in Japan during the 1970's and 80's were about the best buy in a budget scope, and not too far behind Leupold at the time. Possibly into the 90's as well. When production moved from Japan quality went down.

But even if it is a Japanese made scope it will be 30+ years old. While a good scope in it's day, there are $200 scopes today that will be far better.

Back in the 80's I had a 6-24 Tasco on my Ruger 77v in 220 Swift. Super shooting rifle and a decent scope. The only problem with the scope was that it was dim in low light. Great for targets and daylight hunting but not so good for pig hunting. It wasn't till I went pig hunting that I realized the limitations of the scope.

UPDATE! Picked up the M77 on Tuesday, loaded some rounds for it on wed, shot it yesterday and i will say, it IS a shooter. Got a 3 shot ragged hole group with some 52 gr btsp and I am just getting started..Very happy and I will say, the Tasco scope is pretty good, adjusts as it should and is quite clear.

Back