Ruger M77 MkII Stock Question

juliet charley

I recently acquired a blue Ruger M77 MkII in .30-06 with a "canoe (or boat) paddle" type stock (the ugly ones with "Ruger" in large letters across the butt). Do those particular stocks have any redeeming qualities? My initial response is to pull it off and chuck it in the nearest dumpster, but I was wondering if anybody has anything good to say about them.

I have the same one, your talking about it has ruger printer on it and the grips where your hands go? I prefer these for 2 purposes, i prefer my guns stainless, and either sythetic or poly. I use my stainless "ugly ruger" stock M77 outside all the time, its peferfect for all weather. #2, weight, i could give a damn about recoil so i keep my carry weapons light, if i have to truck miles and miles with that thing its nice to have it a little lighter and who cares about minor marks on sythetic stock. If i were to bang up a nice wood stock i would be pretty mad. just my .02

Thats the better stock. It doesn't sound like a drum when brush hits it. That gun's for shootin' not lookin'

If you like the looks of the newer synthetic stocks, they can be had from Brownells for around $35 iirc. I'm not sure what the sound a stock makes when you bump it on something has to do with shooting, but my gun (M77 mkII all weather in .270win, new style stock) has killed plenty of deer and consistently shoots ~1.5moa with Rem. Core Lokt and Win. Power Point ammo.

I think out of all the synthetic stocks that come on factory rifles the Ruger's old style stock like the one your talking about is the best looking out of them all.

Is this the synthetic ruger stock your speaking of?

Picture027.jpg

I kind of like the looks of those stocks, gives it a modern touch.

I also like my dark laminated wood stock on my new ruger too so i guess its all personal preference.

When I was looking at stocks for my gun, I considered the Hogue and found quite a few reports of the rubber in the barrel channel causing uneven pressure on the barrel (the stock isn't free floated).

I ended up going with HS Precision, but the wait was/is very long. I should get the stock I ordered in mid-August within the next month.

I've had no such problem with the three hogue stocks I own. If I did I would simply sand it down like any other stock.

The paddle stock is ugly as sin but it is extremely stiff and a great platform for the barreled action. That said, it realistically cannot be shortened. I found it about 1/2" too long so purchased the new factory stock. It is also quite stout and stiff. The fit is very tight in the action and I get the same grouping with it that I did with the old paddle stock. In my judgement, the new synthetic stock is far better than the other factory offerings that I have seen: stiffer, better fit and feel.

Back