Ruger M77 MKII .270 Reborn!

DTrain

My original walnut stock cracked btw the trigger opening and the magazine well opening. I called Ruger and they said to send it in. They quickly called and said they would warranty it and send me out a new walnut stock. I decided to take it to a local smith and have him fit the stock, bed the action, free float the barrel and install a Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad.

Well I recently got it back and took it to the range. Grouping with 130gr Rem Core-Lokts was decent, but I figured I'd try some 140gr Rem Core-lokt Ultras I had from a past trip out West.

Well I think it's safe to say the gun likes those 140gr Ultras :D. 9/16" 3-shot group at a 100 meters off a bench and Caldwell Dead Shot shooting bags. :cool:

270Target.jpg

Man, that's good stuff! Always fun to breath new life into an old favorite.

So no issues dealing with Ruger's warranty? You didn't sound like you were mad or frustrated with them, which is a good thing. I've wanted to buy a Ruger or two in the past, but have heard too many questionable reviews. Everyone says they went through their rough patch but now everything is better--accuracy, reliability and customer service.

Last edited:
I bought the gun 1999. I had NO issues with Ruger and didn't pay a cent and dealt with a very nice lady on the phone. I just called, told them were it was cracked and they sent me a pre-paid shipping tag to send it in. A few days went buy and the lady called and said they would warranty it.

That works for me! :)

My 700 makes groups like that with match ammo when I do my part. 2 touching, 1 about .5-.75" apart. Hunting ammo isn't as consistent and they tend to go wherever (not surprisingly).

I once read that really accurate guns will always make the same pattern. For example, shot one is always the middle, the second is always the one just to the left that is touching and the third will always be the far right. I think it said it was in the context of 1st shot after it was cleaned, 2nd shot after it was cleaned, etc.

I don't have a really accurate rifle, and I'm not good enough to test the statement, but it was interesting because I had previously noticed my groups have a real tendency to do what yours did.

Actually "REALLY ACCURATE" rifles shoot into the same hole, even though the human does everything it can to screw it up!!!:D;):o:p

Last edited:
You'd better send it to Ruger and asked them to "fix" it. "Doncha" know that Rugers ain't supposed to shoot that well? ;)

Back