Ruger M77 MkII .243 RSI,how much velocity loss withan 18 inch barrel?

Sea Buck

I am taking my Ruger M77 RSI in .243 out of the safe this fall for deer. I have not used it except at the range with some varmint loads. I will work up some deer loads with 95 or 100 gr bullets. If I go with a near full house load how much velocity loss can I expcet with this short barrel. And, will I get a complete burn of powder in the barrel?

Barrel length question

From about 22 inches as the norm, muzzle velocity would decrease no more than 25 fps less per inch. I have been reloading the .243 winchester for almost 35 years & with a barrel that length, i would advise the following load:

Bullet: 95 to 100 grain nosler bt / hornady sst
primer: Wlr
powder: Imr-4895 / accurate arms equivalent (consult your reloading book for the charge weight) if barrel was a 22 inch from a bolt action, i could easily advise 40.0 grains of imr / aa 4350. However the 4895 will burn better in the shorter barrel.

Guru1911

You could alway switch to the new Hornady Superformance ammo. They claim less loss per inch with that stuff than with normal ammo.

My Sako .243 is 19". It's worked okay on a couple of dozen bucks, so far. :)

I don't guess I've had to shoot beyond 150 to 200 yards. I use the Sierra 85-grain HPBT and generally limit myself to neck shots or cross-body heart shots. No angling shots or shots on running deer.

Back