Ruger M77 Mk2

mitchell koster

I have the opportunity to buy a ruger m77 Mk2 in 7mm Rem Mag. Its only had 20 rounds through it and is priced really cheap. Is this a good buy? I was looking a the tikka t3 but I've shot the ruger and really like them.
Any comments or opinions would be great.

Safe hunting.

MK

I have a M77 MkII in stainless/ plastic in 7mm mag and although its a nice hunting rifle it doesnt hold a flame to my Tikka Stainless Varmint which is only in 223. Im putting some money down on a 7mm mag or 300 win mag Tikka stainless Varmint on monday.
If the price is right grab it but if its similar priced to the Tikka I would go that way.

Why is your tikka better than your ruger oO

Why is your tikka better than your ruger oO? I'm interested in the Ruger laminate compact in .308.

I'm sure a Tikka is a fine rifle, also.

I have 2 Ruger Mark II's and find them excellent. Accuracy is good, they have controlled round feeding with a craw extractor and standing ejector. The extractor will easily pop over the rim of a cartridge, so a round can be fed directly into the chamber, and the magazine can be top-fed. The integral scope mounting system is very strong and the rifles just plain look good, IMO.

My latest one is a Ruger Compact Magnum in .338 RCM. It features a short action with a 20 inch barrel with sights. It's a short, lightweight rifle with plenty of power for large game.

Personal preference I guess. I have the MkII in 7mm mag I also have a new Hawkeye stainless in 25-06 with only a hand full of loads through it currently.
As you have probably read the Tikka action is smoother than the Rugers and the Tikka trigger I have found to be better than the factory Ruger numbers.
Down side to the Tikka is its long action no matter what cartridge you choose. Even still my varmint weight tikka is only a few ounces heavier than my hawkeye. Both rugers shoot around 1.5MOA with factory loads which for me is plenty for the hunting I do. I know there are plenty of rugers around doing better than that.
My Tikka does under 1MOA with pretty much anything. 0.5MOA with Gold Match.
I hope the soon to be new one is just as good.

You are comparing two hunting rifles with significant perceived recoil to a varmint model 223. Apples & oranges.
Miykael, if you like the compact ruger then buy it. I have 8 ruger mkII's ranging from 204 to 7mm mag and have been quite pleased with ALL of them. Like any rifle, tikkas included, its worth the effort to find a specific powder/bullet combo your gun likes. If you get it and its not what you want, it'll be easy to resell because there's enough guys out there like me who choose not to send our money to foreign gunmakers.
OP, you won't regret buying the ruger but keep in mind you should not have to pay more than about $475 for a nice one. I don't think mags are fun to shoot and judging by the pristine condition but low prices of the ones for sale on gunbroker I'd say most people agree with me. I recently picked up a ruger mkII 300 mag off gunbroker for a friend. It came with a very nice case, sling, and bushnell elite 3200 scope for $465.

I didnt mean to upset anyone with an unfair comparison. If you have the time, go handle a Tikka and a Ruger to help you decide.

Though I'm a big fan of the Ruger 77 in all of its many variations and it would be my pick between the two rifles you're deciding between, I'll be the first to concede that the Tikka has a superior stock trigger. The Ruger's trigger can be "helped" with some judicious gunsmithing or replaced entirely with one of several good aftermarket triggers.

I am actually a big fan of the ruger m77. I have a hawkeye is 223 and a mkII in .30-06. I HAD to do some trigger work on the .30-06 as it was made before the new LC6 trigger. If you absolutely need a lighter trigger than a new $2 aftermarket trigger spring and some very smooth polishing will bring it down to 2-3 lbs. My .30-06 is now a much lighter pull than the hawkeye.

I've got many bolt rifles from various makers. All shoot well, but I can't get my 2 Ruger 77s (308 and 338 Win Mag) to shoot for beans. I blame the goofy angled front action screw and long freebore. One of these days, I'll get around to bedding the actions and see if that will tighten up the groups.

Yeah, I love my M77 Mk II, in 7mm Rem Mag, in all regards. The only thing I would want different would be instead of the walnut stock, I would much prefer synthetic, but it was a gift, and as is it a beautiful weapon. With the proper hand loads, you can get superb accuracy out to 300 yards.

I never used the Tikkia so I can't compare them, but I would compare my M77 favorably to both my Savage 110 and a friend's Remington 700 with heavy barrel and composite stock.

Back