Ruger M77 II 7mm-08

jbirdhaffield

I have no idea about this rifle. I was stuck between three guns. I went to Walmart and the prices changed for the worse. 2 months ago the Remington 700 SPS was $418 and now it's $536. That is a rediculous increase which threw that out of the equation. Another was a Savage 16FCSS which also increased and is now $501. Another was the Tikka but was offered only in 25-06 caliber which wasn't so bad and there price actually dropped to $503. The last rifle that I looked at was the Ruger M77 II which had the looks in my opinion. Now I have a decision and it will be tomorrow morning (6/25/07). So I need all the opinions and advice I can get. You guys have really helped out and I thank you for your time and input. The hunt will be mostly whitetails, hog, and maybe an elk or two down the road. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Narrowed down to these-
Savage - 7mm/08 for $501
Tikka - 25/06 for $503
Ruger M77 II 7mm/08 for $502

Ask to handle all three, buy the one that fits your body best.

Both the 7-08 and 25-06 are on the "light" side for elk, but both have taken their fair share of elk. Just remember to use tough heavy for caliber bullets. I like Barnes myself.

Jimro

I think the 7-08 would be a better choice for Elk. I'd take a premium 140 grain bullet over a premimum 120 grain bullet any day. That said both are leagal for elk in most areas. Here in CO all that is required for caliber is that it be a 6mm/243. If there is a elk hunt in the future then there might be a new rifle purchase as well?

+1 to buying the rifle that fits you the best.

Buy The Ruger no doubt. Had mine bedded and lightened trigger and it shoots beautifully, 1 inching at 100 meters consistently. Very comfortable rifle, shoulders and points well and crf cant be beat!

Yea I hear ya on the Walmart price increases.

Remingtons jumped the most. The VS SF jumped the most. Up 250 bucks.

+1 on the fit for you idea.
If the one you like the looks of least, fits the best, it becomes a very hard choice indeed.

All of them are fine rifles but I'm not a big fan of all the plastics in the Tikka.
Every part of that 40 dollar clip, except the spring, is plastic in the Tikka.

rem 700

Thank you guys for all your input. I found here in my home town at Walmert a Remington 700 ADL synthetic on clearance for $328. I could not ask for a better price. I love the action and have already ordered an R3 recoil pad and a Timney trigger. Can't wait to shoot it after all is done. Thanks so much!

Back