Ruger M77 Hawkeye?

piercfh

What do yall think about these new m77 hawkeye rugers? From what I have read they have this new trigger and some redesign of the stock. I'm sure no one has one yet, but I hear they are available.

Im particularly interested in the two synthetic models they are offering in a hogue overmold stock. I was going to purchase a commercial mauser action and put together an all out hunting rifle my way. I was planning on a stainless barrel, and using an overmold stock. These new rugers look alot like what I was wanting to build, but at a fraction of the cost.

So how are these new triggers ruger is offering, and how does the overmold stocks perform on a high powered rifle (they sure do feel good). I assume the model that's being sold on the M77s is the pillar bedded stock.

Check rugers website if you havnt seen them allready. Ill get a link up to the rifle I'm talking about soon, but right now the site is down.

Thanks
Frank Pierce

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .30-06. It has the standard synthetic stock, not the Hogue. I think they are very good quality guns. I have put 40 rounds through mine and it has been a pleasure. The new recoil pads are a real improvement. The rifle handles very well also. The new trigger is crisp, zero creep, and breaks around 4-5 pounds I figure. I like mine a lot and I believe I got a good gun for my $579. I am looking forward to taking a moose with it this fall.

I cant wait for a lefty version. I love my 77MkII so much that a new design with the same action and a nicer trigger would be sweet.

bottom rung: I hope your new ruger shoots as well as mine does. It's a deadly unit.

Have the Alaskan in .375 Ruger here with Hogue stock.
Trigger is supposedly non-adjustable, breaks clean around 4 pounds with no takeup and some overtravel. I have two older Ruger rifles with triggers reduced to below 3 pounds that I think are better. But, this one's not bad at all.
Recoil pad actually works. Hogue stock is ugly, but non-slip. Real steel mag floorplate. Accuracy at 100 yards with express sights regulated at 50 was under 2 inches with one factory load and under three inches with the other two factory loads.
This one is borrowed for T&E, I'm still undecided on whether to keep it or return it. Kinda like what it is & what it does.
Denis

The triggers are not adjustable, which is to bad for some. I think the pull is fine for the woods. As far as accuracy goes, I have no definite numbers to give you. When I shot it, we had a lot of guns going. Plus they were mine so I was busy keeping track of everyone. I should have some better groupings tomorrow, as that will be my goal with tomoorows visit to the range. My old 77 MK II gave me one inch groups with Remingtons 125gr reduced recoil load. The barrel is thin on my 30-06, so it heats up quick. I noticed the barrel was thicker on the .338 Federal version and that was not because the bore was bigger. The actual wall was thicker. I will post an update when I get some groupings. Beware though, I am not a marksman by any means. A lucky shot at times, but no marksman.

Okay, I shot the Hawkeye today. Again, it was good. I started off with some 150gr Federal Powershocks SP and got some 2 inch groupings. They were also just a touch high. I switched to 180gr Powershocks SP and got some 1 inch groupings dead on, in the bullseye. Then I started to flinch and it was all over. Overall, a great day at the range with a gun that is more accurate than I am. I like this rifle a lot, but after the bench session I think I might want a lighter trigger.

Sounds good. I still cant decide if I want to fix up an interarms MK X or just buy a new hawkeye. All I want is an MOA rifle that rides in the truck good and has that perfect feel for shooting on the fly or at a running whitetail.

Back