Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical

Saltydog235

Since Savage doesn't seem to be able to respond to my inquiry and no dealers seem to be able to get me a Predator Max in .243Win, I'm looking at other options. The Hawkeye M77 is available in the configuration that I want, I just have no feedback on them. Anyone out there have a Hawkeye or shot one at least? The 77's I've had are OK but never been tack drivers and that's what I want from this little Varmint Project.

I have a new Hawkeye in 223. It's the stainless model, with synthetic stock. I'm still working on loads and have other powders to try, but I think, from what I've seen so far, is that it's a real good shooter. I don't know what its ultimate accuracy potential is, but if I get that serious I'll take it to a top notch gunsmith for a tuneup. If I can get half inch groups from it, with handloads and without needing a gunsmith, I'll be satisfied. I like the rifle a lot. Feels good in my hands and is light and easy to handle. I put a Nikon Monarch 4X16 on it, and I'm pleased with the scope so far.

I have a wood stocked Hawkeye I bought in October for hunting season. It is a well made rifle and my favorite bolt action that I own now. The only negatives I have is that the muzzle is not really crowned and the recoil pad is no where near as good as some of the others on production rifles now. Still, in 30-06 it's not too bad. I took a buck and a doe with it this year. I am not a benchrest shooter so I can't really speak for it's accuracy potential.

Hey Salty,

Savage told me just about 2 weeks ago that, they build those guns based on orders. They don't run off a bunch from their mfg line and stock them. Also, the guns are sent out to be camo dipped, which they probably wait until they have enough to be worth their while. In a nut shell, I was told anywhere from 30-90 days out from time of order. I'm expecting it could be more....

Back