Ruger M77 Hawkeye Laminate Compact...???

Christchild

After juggling the idea of a Short Action Wildcat cartridge, then settling on the Classic .243 Winchester, I've tossed around the idea of which rifle would be best suited. It has to be light (6 1/4 pounds is acceptable), 12" to 12.5" Length of Pull, 22" barrel or less, stainless action and barrel. I'd like the Browning A-Bolt Mountain Ti, but $2,000 for a factory rifle isn't really "sitting well" in my mind.

I believe I've narrowed it down to 1. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye Laminate Compact in .243 Winchester.

Does anyone have any experience(s) with this little rifle, or know someone who has one? If so, what's Your "take" on it? Accuracy? Overall Quality? Problems? Is there a Weaver-Style scope mount adapter available for it? Any details and feedback is greatly appreciated, Bro's!

Thank You! Merry Christmas!

In my opinion, the M77 Ultralight offers a better chance for great accuracy with its 20" barrel. But, its 13.5" length of pull rules it out for you. Any good gunsmith can take an inch off the butt for you, and make it look good. The compacts look to be handy little rifles, but I am simply not sold on the 16.5" barrel. In my mind, 18.5" is the stopping point for a deer rifle.

I definitely agree, Abel. The 16.5" barrel is what has always made me turn the other cheek... I've been thinking, faster powders, but that's only 1 aspect to consider with a barrel that short. Accuracy being #1...

Back